Sunrise

Chapter 18 - Showcase

Jade was freaking out

And I don't mean freaking out as in really nervous. I'm talking about an actual panic attack.

As she gasped for air, sitting against the wall in the room's corner with a hand over her chest, Courtney and I tried to calm her down unsuccessfully. She was hyperventilating, and I was panicking too from not knowing what to do.

"Someone please get Miss Wick" Courtney yelled at the people running around behind us.

Earlier, we had peeked behind the curtains and the auditorium was filling at an amazing rate. I had tried to spot any of my parents, but many were yet to arrive, and I assumed they were late. Nothing had started yet, but when Jade saw the crowd, she freaked out.

"Please, Jade, calm down. Just breathe, okay? Come on. In and out," I told her as I breathed with her.

I heard the music playing. The choir's presentation. I thanked God for being the last one to step on the stage tonight.

"Where is she?" I heard a familiar voice ask outside the room, and then his lean figure appeared in a black leather jacket.

Mr Deeks dropped a bunch of papers by the table full of flowers and knelt next to Jade, brushing us out of the way. He squeezed her hand and forced her to do eye contact with him.

"Hey, Flora. Quite a show you're giving here, hun? You should keep the drama for later." Her eyes were focused on him, but calm was still not the word for her. "Relax. Breathe. In and out." She complied, tightening her grasp on his fingers. "It's like we discussed. Nothing will go wrong. You're going there and you're going to be amazing. Your parents won't be able to spot a flaw"

He kept saying sweet things, and soon enough she was breathing normally again.

Jade threw her arms around his neck and he patted her back awkwardly with a tight smile. When she let go of him, he said he had to go welcome some scouts but told us to call him if she had another relapse.

"Are you going to tell us what the heck is going on between you and him or we're just supposed to create really disgusting scenarios in our heads?" Courtney asked.

Jade didn't move from her place. "He's nice to me. He... listens..."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know...it's not what you're thinking, it's just... he cares, I guess... or maybe he pretends he does... I don't know but feels good to have someone who's there"

I didn't need to ask to know she was struggling because of her parents. I didn't know them but I knew they're very strict. Like panic attack making strict. They had high standards and their daughter had to meet them.

"Hello girls," Louis joined us later on. "How are we doing on this beautiful evening?"

"We're fine," Courtney and Jade said in unison, and I joined in with a "Stole Beth's makeup"