Sunrise

Chapter 14 - The play

I will forever remember that rehearsal for many reasons

That was the very first time the Antichrist himself showed up to do what I assume was his job.

When I saw him for the first time, I wasn't impressed, let alone as obsessed as Jade, but I was curious about what would he be doing with us. That curiosity was soon replaced by hate.

How to describe Mr Deeks as other than rude? It's his entire personality. From the moment he set eyes on us, it was as if being here was the worst punishment ever. I could understand that he was bored, hell I was sick saying the same lines every day already, but he didn't need to show it. He didn't need to gawk at us as if we were the devil.

Although Courtney didn't get any role in the play, she volunteered herself to help with the costumes, and now she was here. Miss Wick had argued no one else was needed and Courtney was a Drama student, not a clothing designer, but eventually, she accepted her offer. Now she may be here, even if everyone working on clothes and accessories was already back in the common room.

We sat in the theatre's front row, Jade on my left and Courtney on my right. Mr Deeks sat on top of the stage, legs swinging, reading the script with a critical expression and looking rather bored.

The older students didn't seem pleased by this whole arrangement, probably because this guy was not much older than them.

"Did you guys write this?" he asked, waving the script.

Chris got up to make himself seen. "It was written by the Creative Writing fifth graders"

"Mmm," Deeks licked his lips. "It's boring, but it'll have to do. So, who do you play?" he looked directly at Jade, who shrank under his gaze.

Chris was ahead of everyone. "Elizabeth and Thomas have the roles of Aurora and Prince Charming...."

"I wasn't talking to you," Deeks cut him off. "I was asking the tiny girl that's looking at me like she wants to cry"

Only at that moment did I look at Jade and notice how white she was. She kept fidgeting with the small ring on her fingers. A pink flower on her right ring finger, a silver star on the index and a wave in the middle.

When we had all lost hope she would say a word, she finally mumbled "Flora"

"I can't hear you from here, kid. I need you to speak louder," he pressed.

She looked ready to throw up. I understand she has him on a pedestal and probably just wants to cause a good impression, but I don't think she's doing so well.

"Flora," she said louder but still almost unnoticeable.

"Flora..." he repeated, "And do you think you can perform for a full house when you can't even talk to me?" he said harshly.