Can't stay here

"Unus, we got a problem. Mark, Ethan, Amy... They don't know how to help us.." Annus knelt by the edge of the pool and stared into the water, his reflection staring back at him, silent tears in his eyes.

Unus paddled over to Annus.

"What do you mean? Don't know how to help us." Unus said, his voice small like one of a mouse and full of emotion.

"They can't help us. They don't know how to. That's what I mean." Annus, though reluctant, held out his hand for Unus.

Unus took hold of it with no hesitation. He scrambled out the pool and sat next to Annus.

Then, through the tears in his eyes, Annus slowly wrapped his arms around Unus and hugged him.

"I - I'm sorry Unus but, it may never happen."

Annus could feel Unus shaking uncontrollably. He began to run small circles on Unus' back, making small shushing noises to calm him down.

"Listen, Unus, we can't stay here. We need to do this on our own."

"But, we c- can't leave. They will help us, I know they will." Unus said shakily.

Annus bit his lip. He knew that they couldn't leave. They would have no where to go and they would be too easily recognised by the public. They are exactly the same as those who brought them life.

"Look, they don't have to know. We can go now and they won't even notice." Annus tried but Unus wasn't believing any of it.

"Yeah, they definitely won't notice that their TWINS have disappeared!" He said, pointing out the obvious that Annus already knew.

"Ok, fine. When they notice, we don't have to worry because we'll be long gone.. maybe even dead."

Unus took this into consideration.

"There'll be ice cream."

That was what made up Unus' mind. He nodded.

"Let's get going then, shall we. To the ice cream and death!"

With that, the two men, taking the cover of the coming darkness, snuck their way out and into the outside.
___________________________________

The early morning sun seeped through the open curtains of the guest bedroom, waking Ethan from his slumber.

The rest of the house was silent. It didn't seem like anyone else was up.

Ethan took this as an opportunity to help himself to any food in the house, wanting to have the perfect breakfast.

He slipped on a plain white t-shirt and some jeans, finishing the outfit with a pastel yellow soft boi hoodie.

Ethan crept downstairs and walked to the kitchen, the idea of pancakes in his head.

The dogs were sleeping peacefully in a pile, snoring gently.

Deciding to be kind, he went to see if Unus and Annus were awake and that he would make them something but when he went to check the living room, where the two men sleep, they weren't there.

"Strange... Where could they be?" Ethan said to himself.

Eef, putting off the idea if breakfast, went to look for them. When he couldn't find them anywhere, he began to panic quite a bit.

He rushed back upstairs.

"Mark, wake up! How confident are you in your ability to tell if I'm telling you the truth." Ethan said rushing through the door.

Mark stirred grumpily under his duvet.
"What?" He said, yawning.

"Would you believe me if I said that Unus and Annus have disappeared!"

Mark's face was blank for a second, his brain slowly processing what Ethan just said.

Finally, after just understanding what Ethan said, he jumped out of bed.

"Disappeared! What do you mean? Where would they even go!" Mark began to worry.

"Amy!" He said, turning to the sleepyhead still in bed. Amy opened her eyes and peered at Mark and Ethan.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"Unus and Annus.. they're gone!" Ethan said, his voice high pitched and full of stress.

The colour from Amy's face drained until she was pale.

"We got to go find them." She said shakily.

Mark and Ethan nodded. Amy leapt out of bed and ran to join the two men. Then they all raced to get out of the house to begin the hunt.

"Where do you think they went?" Mark asked, turning to Ethan.

"Well, if Annus is anything like HeeHoo, then maybe the woods or if Unus is acting like the Gongoozler, then maybe an area with lots of water."

It was a good idea and Mark was happy to go with that as a starting point.

"We'll go to the woodland area not so far from here. Well, it's about an hour's walk and if we drive we can get there in max half an hour, maybe less."

"Let's just hope they're ok. I want them to be safe." Amy said, her voice barely a whisper.

"Don't worry, we'll find them." Mark said trying to sound hopeful but he knew he was anything but.

The three clambered into Ethan's car and they all set off to look for Unus and Annus.
__________________________________

It had been a good few hours or so of walking and already Unus was getting on Annus' last nerve.

He was just randomly making songs as they went along, usually singing about whatever came to his mind.

Annus sighed, trying to block out his companions rambling. Instead of suffering, he turned to look at the nature around them.

Trees as tall as the sky towered over them. Leaves of autumn yellow and red fluttered down in the gentle breeze.

It was a lovely sight.

Annus wanted to stay in the moment, just him. No noise, no distractions.

Everything was silent. The calm serenity was perfect. Annus sighed with relief.

"Unus, thank God you stopped that singing. It's about time you were silent. Even if it was for a moment."

He turned to face Unus.

He stopped. He stared.

It seemed like time was frozen in place. Leaves stayed floating in the air not falling down.

Plants weren't rustling in the breeze.

That's not what Annus was worried about though.

Whatever happened, Unus was also affected. He was frozen in place, almost like time had stopped.

Suddenly, the calm surroundings felt too much. It felt to fake. Annus hated it. He hated how everything just stopped. He wanted time to start again.

He wished for it.

Then, as if a genie had granted his wish, time started again.
Unus blinked rapidly, unaware of what had happened and so continued to sing. The leaves fell like they never stopped.

"Hey, uhh, Unus, by any chance we have the ability to do shit with time?" Annus asked, turning to Unus.

Unus looked at him, a puzzled expression on his face. Then, though, it became clear as to what Annus said.

Unus shifted uncomfortably.

"Unus?" Annus took a step forward.

"I may know something you don't." Unus said, giving a small smile.

"What do you mean?"

"It's all about time." It was all Unus replied.

____________________________________
💀 15.11.19 - 14.11.20 💀

Memento Mori,
Unus Annus

May you rest in peace Xx