Sound of the ticking clock

"What do you think it means?" Amy asked when Mark showed the small clock to her. He shrugged.

The small clock face had an intricate design of a black and white spiral. The hands of the clock were like Death's own hand, pointing at each number that it passes. The entire clock itself was almost hypnotic.

 The entire clock itself was almost hypnotic

Mark sighed. "I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with that email. I mean, didn't it say something about a ticking clock?"

Amy bit her lip in thought.
"Hmm... Oh yeah it did. It was like, 'We'll see you tomorrow at the sound of the ticking clock.' Except, it's not tomorrow."

Mark nodded. Amy was right. Tomorrow had not come, yet there was already a clock that just so happened to be ticking.

"Maybe this has or is happening to Ethan. I'll go check on him." Mark said as he pulled his phone out of his pocket.

Ring Ring... Ring Ring.
Ethan sighed. He had not long fallen asleep yet it had only been about half an hour and someone already wanted him.

Reluctantly, he grabbed his phone from his bedside table and checked to see who it was.
Mark.

"Hewo..." Ethan said whilst yawning.

"Ethan, have you received anything lately or has Spencer been barking for no reason whatsoever?" Mark questioned, getting straight on with it.

Ethan was silent for a moment, deep in thought. His brain was slow going as he had just woken up and he could feel his eyes closing.

"Uhh, Ethan, you there?" Mark asked.

"Hmm? Oh yeah I'm there. Well, if you must know, my Amazon package hasn't arrived yet and Spencer has been as quiet as a... Really quiet thing. Why'd you ask?"

"I think it's best if you come over, and bring Spencer with you."

For the second time that day, Ethan was standing next to Mark, except they weren't making a video.

They were staring at a clock.

"What does it mean?" Ethan asked, clueless.

Amy, who had asked a similar question at the beginning of the chapter, turned to face Ethan.

"We think it might have something to do with that email. Except, it's early?" Amy began. She turned to Mark.

"We assume so, anyway. We think that all we have to do is wait until tomorrow and maybe something will happen."

"What do we do in the meantime?" Ethan asked.

"Well, we can try and summon a ghost like we did at your place." Mark suggested.

"Umm if you insist, except we're doing it here. It was too scary doing it back at mine." Ethan shuddered at the memory, recalling how scared he was.

"Ugh, fine. Just try not to get too scared."

It was now 11:58pm, and Mark and Ethan were sat around a makeshift pentagram, thanks to Chica's dog toys. In the center was Ethan's phone, being used as a mirror. The pentagram, you could say, was janky and indistinguishable.

"Not long now." Mark said in a low whisper, trying to set the mood,

"Do you really think that we'll summon a ghost?" Ethan replied, the pitch in his voice rising.

Mark rolled his eyes. 'Why is he so scared?'

After a long two minutes, at the stroke of midnight, Mark began to chant the summoning ritual.

"Lord Satan, by your grace grant me. I pray thee the power to conceive in my mind to execute that which I desire to do 'The end' which I would attain by thy help o' mighty Satan, the one true God who liveth and reigneth forever and ever. I entreat thee to inspire Linda to manifest before me that he/she may give me true and faithful answer, so that I may accomplish my desire and provided that it is proper to his or her office. This I respectfully and humbly ask in your name, Lord Satan, may you deem me worthy father, may you deem me worthy daddy."

There was silence. Ethan shifted uncomfortably whilst Mark began looking around, his eyes shifting from corner to corner, hoping that Linda will appear. A few minutes crawled by and, when it was decided that there was nothing, Mark abruptly stood up.

"It didn't work...again. Oh well, time for bed, come on." He said cooly, as though he wasn't bothered that he may or may not of summoned a demon and probably ruined the world's population's chance of survival.

Ethan slowly stood, but his legs felt weak, his brain, light headed. He padded after Mark and followed him to the guest room in which he was staying.

"Goodnight Mark." He said shakily. Ethan knew he wasn't going to get a good nights sleep.

"Goodnight Eef." Mark replied, leaving Ethan alone in his room.

It was the sound of the clock that had woken Mark. The 'gift' let off a loud ringing, loud enough to get the dogs downstairs barking. He grabbed the clock and threw it at the wall. Mark was starting to question why he had brought the thing inside the house. He could of just left it outside but no. He brought it in because of course, the clock was important to the plot of this story.

Mark sighed and peered over at Amy, who was still sleeping. He wondered how she could sleep through the ringing. Slowly, he got out of bed and went downstairs. He decided that he wouldn't bother Ethan. The poor guy probably had a tough night and he needs as much sleep as he can.

Something felt off though. The house seemed quiet. Too quiet. Mark began to tip toe around, not wanting to make a noise.

He stopped dead though when he got to the living room. Two men, one in a white suit and one in a black suit, were lazing on the brown leather couch. Both turned their heads towards Mark.

The one in the white suit stood and smiled a cold smile.
"Oh, hi Mark. It's about time you showed up."