When You Can't Stand To Be Apart

Start from the beginning

Once she was gone, Jungkook sat next to Jaci's bed and frowned deeply. Taehyung could practically hear the wheels in the wolf's head turning and grinding.

"Stop thinking so loudly," groused Taehyung.

Sunny stood at the foot of the bed with her arms folded. "This is too much to process this late at night."

"I agree," piped Taehyung, grabbing his wife's arm. "Let's go get some shut eye before something else happens. I'm exhausted."

"But you haven't really done anything," said Sunny.

"Yep, and that's why I am so tired. Come on. I can't sleep with all the brain fumes in this room anyway."

Taehyung tugged her against her will and drug her to their bedroom, shutting the door firmly.

Finally, the room was silent and Jungkook slumped down in the seat, his eyes staying glued to Jaci's face. His mind threaded through all of his thoughts and he deliberately tried to focus on one at a time.

This human was nothing special to him. Yet, all of a sudden, he couldn't bring himself to be away from her. He literally felt pain in his chest at just the thought of leaving her right now.

His hand subconsciously moved upwards to clutch at his chest, the thought of leaving Jaci's side making his heart throb.

Why had she responded to Ga-Eun's test like that? What did Luna mean by advising him to listen to his wolf? Why did he get so riled up when he thought Jaci was in pain? What was going on?

His thoughts took off again and he dropped his head into his hands, weaving his fingers into his hair. Jungkook was still a young wolf, and despite living among a well-functioning wolfpack of his own for the last twenty years, he was quite inexperienced in everything that involved inner wolves and all that it entailed.

His inexperience was causing him a great deal of frustration at the moment. He felt like there was something he should know, but he was having a terrible time putting two and two together. He was too exhausted and all he wanted to do was shift and crawl up next to Jaci.

Wait...

Why would I do that?

"Do it."

Jungkook froze as a voice he hadn't heard since he presented echoed throughout his head. His eyes darted right and left and he sat perfectly still, wondering if the voice would speak again. He wasn't disappointed.

"I need to be near her. She needs me."

Jungkook was even more confused but he could no longer control the impulse to shift. Rushing to the bathroom, he disrobed and shifted as quickly as he could.

The click of his nails on the floor was the only sound as he approached the bed, lithely jumping up onto it. He allowed his thoughts to be drowned out as the being the voice belonged to took over.

"Jungkook, you don't understand right now, but you will. You and I need this woman. Let me be near her."

Jungkook struggled to let his inner wolf fully take over, but when he did, Jungkook allowed himself to fall asleep.

The black wolf slid himself between the wall and Jaci, wrapping himself around her as much as he could. He laid his big shaggy head behind hers so that his muzzle was near her ear and the wound. He sniffed and whimpered, smelling the infection, the monkshood, and the healing paste.

He felt an overwhelming sense of pride when she nestled closer to him, turning her head to face his fur. A sweet calm washed over them both.

Soon, both wolf and woman were sound asleep, one basking in the feeling of being protected and safe, and the other proud he could do so.