The Elven Princess

Start from the beginning

"I know," Ellendil sighed. "But, keeping me here..., it's just..., I don't know. It feels wrong.... Sometime father needs to loosen his grip."

"Adar wishes na see cin," ("Father wishes to see you,") Legolas said.

"Yeah," Ellendil said and began up the second set of stairs. "I heard him earlier."

"Ellendil," Legolas called. Ellendil turned and their eyes met. "Ho na- onlui trying na cheb- cin safe." ("He is only trying to keep you safe.")

"Yeah, I know, but I'm almost one-hundred fifty years old, Legolas. I think I should be able to go beyond Mirkwood." Ellendil dipped her head to him then walked on.

Soon, she was approaching her father; who sat in his antlered throne.

Ellendil glanced up at the guards standing around. They were as still as statues. Sometimes Ellendil thought they were statues.

"Ellendil," Ellendil's father said quietly, training his blue eyes on her. He was dressed in his normal silver robes with a crown of red berries and autumn leaves, for it was autumn.

Ellendil instead, had white silk robes on and a crown silver and of blue flowers.

"Adar...," ("Father...,") Ellendil replied slowly, avoiding his gaze.

"You've gone against my rules...," he said.

Ellendil looked up at him now. "Im'm ú- a hén anymore, adar." ("I'm not a child anymore, father.")

"Baw, but im'm still cín aran plural erain or erein a cin disobeyed nin orders," ("No, but I'm still your king and you disobeyed my orders,")  Thranduil said, rising.

Ellendil returned his unblinking gaze. The whole position of his throne, how he stood over you. It commanded power, respect, and it commanded the rooms attention. "You're locking me in my room. Why confine me to the woods when there's a world beyond Greenwood?"

"It's for your-"

"You mean your own good?" Ellendil said furiously, without any idea of what had come over her. "I'm not a child. I deserve to know what's beyond the woods. Not in stories nor in books, but to find out for myself what is out there. I long to see the stars. We shroud our self in darkness and cut ourselves off from the world...! Father - my lord, I want to see what the world is like for myself. Mother died in war. I'm not going to war, I'm going to explore. Can I not-"

"No you can not," his voice interrupted her as easily as a knife cutting bread.

Ellendil looked up at him in surprise.

Thranduil looked down at her, watching her closely.

"I was not locking you in your room, but now," he hesitated, then his eyes narrowed coldly. "I have too.

"What...?" Ellendil said in shock. It took her a moment to process the fact that guards had seized her arms. "Adar.... Adar! ADAR!"

* * *

Ellendil roared furiously in her room. She had kicked and swung at the guards, she had tried to reach for her daggers sheathed at her back, but they still managed to get her here to the confinement of her room.

She had acted more like a child then a one-hundred forty-two year old elf.

Now, in her room, she swung her daggers; swinging at an invisible enemy in her anger. At one point she had cried herself to sleep, (which was not very realistic for an elf) and woke to the smell of warm bread and red berries. She had eaten and then back to swinging her daggers she went.

Her room was of wood like the rest of the kingdom. She had chairs, she had rugs, she had balconies and shelves, she had books and scrolls and maps, jewelry and silk sheets, but none of this satisfied her.

When she got tired of swinging her daggers she would pick up her silver bow and split arrow after arrow. When she ran out of arrows she twirled her sword. She she got tired of sword play she threw her knives. It seemed like an endless cycle.

She ignored the elves who came in to give her food. When one tried to talk to her she would say, "Im'm ú- in i mood." ("I'm not in the mood.")

She would stand at her balcony at night, but could never see the stars or sky; only able to look down to watch the bustling elves and the dancing fire of the torches.

Ellendil was throwing knives when the door opened again. Without really meaning to the knife cut through the air and lodged itself in the wall right next to her brothers face.

His eyes widened and he blinked. "Practicing, gar- cin?" ("Practicing, have you?")

"Adar seems laeg bo keeping nin locked or-. Baw better anand na swing a magol ben tád," (Father seems keen on keeping me locked up. No better time to swing a sword or two,") Ellendil said simply, and caught the knife that Legolas had thrown back.

Ellendil set it aside and turned. She was upstairs on the balcony. 

Legolas walked up. "You really shouldn't of brough mother into the conversation." 

"I know, but I want to go back to tree jumping and battling spiders at least. But, now...."

"Now, you blew that chance," he finished for her, leaning on the railing.

"Now I can't even leave my room, Legolas," Ellendil sighed. She buried her hand in her hands and groaned, "I was so foolish. I can't believe I talked to him like that."

"You should apologize," Legolas suggested.

"I can't apologize, because it won't be true!"

"So you don't regret anything you said? You're not sorry?"

"No - Yes - I don't know!" Ellendil sighed again, leaning on the railing. "Besidies, how am I supposed to apologize if I can't leave my room?"

"They've been telling you that the door's been unlocked," Legolas said, partially amused.

Ellendil blinked. "Seriously?"

Legolas nodded.

"I should be glad I'm not banished," Ellendil managed to say. "I talked to adar - (father - ) my king, like I was talking to a dwarf."

"Mhmmm."

"You're not supposed to agree!" Ellendil laughed.

"You're so eager to see beyond Greenwood. I've asked this many times, but why?"

Ellendil didn't say anything for a moment. "Because I'm curious. I know, I know, curiosity is not a good trait for an elf, but yet I am, Legolas."

Legolas watched her for a second. "You should apologize to adar (father) then take it one step at a time."

"I'm not a kid. I shouldn't have to take steps," Ellendil huffed. Then with a look from Legolas she sighed, "Fine."

The two embraced.

"I wasn't thinking, was I?" Ellendil asked while buried in his arms.

"Nope."

Ellendil laughed slightly. "Well..., I'll have to work on that." She paused then sighed, "Hi na apologize na adar...." ("Now to apologize to father....")