Chapter-2

There are certain times when a random, irrelevant thought gets stuck in your mind, leaving you restless and worried. It was one of those moments for Crystal. The conversation with Gemma has stuck in her mind. Many weird scenarios popped in her head, Carol kicking her out for being the worst. She paced around the room, her feet padding against the plush carpet while she fumbled with her hands. There was an itchy feeling of something happening that heightened her anxiety. 

“Argh… why am I even thinking about all this?” Crystal said aloud, standing in front of the vanity mirror.

Her reflection stared back at her with a frown. The clock in her room read 4:50 PM. Taking a deep breath Crystal went to the balcony inhaling the fresh air. Mother nature always helped her calm down. Leaning onto the railings, she gazed at the vast forest, her eyes soaking in the greenery. 

The Jones house was a two-storey building near the eastern borders of the pack. Its earthy brown colour is a stark contrast to the green forest surrounding it. They were the only ones in this area, as the other pack members preferred to live by the southern borders or in the packhouse.

The bedroom door clicked, breaking Crystal’s trance. Walking inside, she found Gemma laying face front in her bed. Crystal leaned on her closet door, waiting for her sister to speak.

“I have nothing to wear.” Gemma cried. Crystal gave a low chuckle and disappeared into her closet. It was like a drill. During any important event, Gemma failed to find a suitable outfit amongst the thousands of dresses in her closet. Crystal always has to come to the rescue, ‘Pulling the perfect outfit out of nowhere.’ In Gemma’s words.

The elder girl emerged from her closet after a few minutes holding in one hand a black dew shoulder jumpsuit dress with a slitted long sleeve on one side and a velvety gold belt secured at the waist. She also held a pair of black strappy heels. The younger girl’s eyes gleamed with happiness like a child on Christmas.

Gemma jumped out of the bed and tackled Crystal in a bear hug. “You’re my lifesaver.” She squealed.

“Go get dressed, or else we will be late.” Crystal ushered her sister out of the room.

Smiling, she got ready herself; she decided upon a royal blue swallowtail A-line off-shoulder dress. The boat neck stressing her collarbones. She matched it with her favourite diamond studs her father gifted her on her last birthday. Applying a thin coat of makeup, she let her hair fall down her shoulders in natural curls. Downing on a pair of black pumps, she grabbed her clutch and exited her room.

Minerva and Derek were already in the living room waiting for their daughters to come. Minerva wore a long-sleeved maroon evening dress with a V-shaped neckline. Derek wore a maroon suit, matching his mate.

“Where are these girls? We will be late.” Minerva grumbled. She was a very punctual woman, and a slight delay always irked her. 

“We still have an hour, calm down,” Derek said from the couch. In contrast to his wife, Derek loved being fashionably late. 

The girls entered the living room to find their mother pacing around her maroon dress, swirling around while their father skimmed through the magazine leisurely. A perfect example of ‘opposites attract.’

“Mama, stop pacing. You will have sore feet from all the walking.” Crystal said.

Minerva turned abruptly, her eyes filled with unshed tears as she adored her daughters. The little princesses have grown up so much. She still vividly remembered the day she found Crystal, it was the luckiest day of her life. Derek came to stand by his mate, being able to sense her thoughts through the bond. Seeing their parents’ emotions, the girls pulled both of them into a hug, resulting in a family hug.