Chapter - 27

The arena buzzed as pack members strolled in and took their seats to witness the ‘Duel for the throne’. This would be the first time in the history of werewolf existence that siblings will actively fight to prove their worth for the throne.

The council members took their seats on the balcony. Some were also seen carrying binoculars. Apparently people were enjoying the concept of duel too much without even worrying about the consequences that will be experienced by the royal family. The Alpha King and Queen sat on their throne with solemn faces, waiting with anxious hearts for their children to appear on the battlefield below. A pack member sauntered into the field, drawing everyone’s attention. He stood at the center and looked at the crowd with a smile before bowing to the King and Queen. A silence fell upon the arena as his voice boomed into the microphone. 

“Welcome, members of the White Moon Pack. Today we’re going to witness an epic battle that will go down in werewolf history as an auspicious event. Without further ado let’s welcome our two contenders - Prince Bennett,” The crowd erupted into cheers as the Prince entered wearing a white ruffled shirt layering it with a maroon vest, its golden buttons shining against the sunshine, he had paired it with loose black slacks and brown boots, making the unmated she-wolves swoon. Bennett’s popularity was clearly noticeable as the crowd raged. The King felt a little tense and worried about the results. 

“And Princess Bernadette,” the man continued as the cheers slowly died out. Crystal who was waiting for her name to be called was a little startled by the use of her birth name rather than her own, though dismissing her nerves as she stepped into the battlefield. The crowd erupted into another series of cheers, but they were subdued compared to the first. 

Bennett eyed his sister, who was dressed in a similar outfit as his. A smirk appeared on his face as their eyes met. Crystal sneered back at her brother as her eyes raged with wildfire. The man explained the rules for the duel, which the siblings paid no attention to, busily glaring at each other. The pack member walked out as the shrill sound of the bell indicated the start of the duel.

 Both got into a fighting stance, circling around each other, waiting for the other to strike first. Bennett went for the first strike, which Crystal dodged easily. A proud smile appeared on the King’s face. Bennett went in for a second hit, succeeding to hit Crystal just below her ribs, knocking the air out of her lungs. She stumbled back, breathing hard, her eyes glistening. The Prince let out a low chuckle, beckoning the Princess to come at him.

Crystal steadied herself before entering into a fighting stance for a second time. She attacked, throwing rapid kicks and punches at her brother, baffling him. Crystal threw a roundhouse kick, bruising his ribs. A loud gasp was heard around the crowd as they watched the prince wither in pain. 

A satisfied look adored Crystal’s face, though it didn’t last for long. Bennett stood up, portraying a proud smile. His ribs healed, enhanced by his werewolf hormones. The fight started again, Bennett leaving no room for Crystal to counterattack, leaving her bruised and exhausted. At this moment Crystal wished she had inherited the werewolf genes rather than her warlock ones. 

A worried look marred the features of the Queen as she silently watched her children fight with each other. Her loathe towards the King increased as she eyed him subtly, smiling whenever Bennett was hit. Madeleine hoped for her kids to get along and have each other’s back, but to her dismay they were fighting. A few of the council members were enjoying the scene of Crystal losing, acting like the true misogynist. 

Bennett now had Crystal in a headlock, watching her struggle under his hold. Despite her defeating Hunter with ease, Crystal found it extremely difficult to get out of her brother’s grasp.