Chapter - 21

P.S: Make sure to read the A/N at the end. Enjoy reading.

Crystal’s POV 

My life has been topsy-turvy for the last six months whenever I assumed everything was concluded, a whirlwind hit turning all upside down. The environment in the car was a grim contradiction to the turmoil of emotions that roared inside me.

The words of Uncle Marvis were stuck in my brain like a lullaby. “Always remember that you aren’t an ordinary girl anymore, the future of the two kingdoms rests upon your shoulders, don’t let your feelings break you down.” He had said when he bid me farewell. It reminded me of the promise that I had made to myself in the hallway and with my determination back I had mounted the car dusting off all my emotions.

“Fiona?” I called her. She has been affected by the absence of Antonio.

“You should have turned back.” She said for the umpteenth time.

“And what good would it have done?” I “He still has his mate somewhere out there. Do you want me to ruin a bond because of our confused feelings towards him?” I asked her.

She went quiet for a second and meekly replied, “No.”

“That’s what I thought too.” I rested my case.

“It just doesn’t feel right.” She gave out a sigh before slumping down in my head.

“It would go away with time. We got accustomed to his kindness because our mate refused to be a gentleman.” I tried to reason. 

“What about the moment we shared in the garden?” She asked as my mind drifted back to that day.

“We might have confused him too, remember I was the one that led him on with the kiss; maybe it made him feel obliged.” 

Fiona hummed in response.

“Fiona, we have greater responsibilities other than dwelling upon the feeling of being rejected,” I said with conviction. 

“Yes, we need to fulfil the legacy that was given to us. I am with you, no more dwelling on the past. It’s a new day.” Fiona replied with equal resolve.

“Earth to Crystal,” Jay said, waving his hand in front of my face.

“Huh?” I looked at him while scrunching my face.

“See, this is how she is always lost in her dreamland,” Jay said, turning to look at my parents. 

Mother gave out a small laugh while Father eyed him with indignation. 

“Listen, boy, you aren’t expected to talk to your future queen like that,” Father said in a grumpy voice setting his iPad aside, only to be nudged by Mother in the ribs.

Jay seemed flustered hearing this and awkwardly shifted in his seat. “It’s ok Father, he is my friend,” I said, patting him on his shoulder encouragingly to ease the discomfort. “And the same goes for Arabella.” I continued glancing at the girl who sat beside Jay gazing past the picturesque surrounding with earphones plugged into her ears with music blasting so loud that I could hear it from where I sat.

“I fear someday she’s going to turn deaf.” Jay grimaced as he watched Bella bobbing her head to beat, lost in her world.

“It’s good that she isn’t nervous and is enjoying herself.” Mother said with a smile directed to Bella. We fell into a comfortable silence after that.

“Your highness, if you don’t mind me asking who exactly is this person who wants to harm Crystal?” Jay asked, grabbing everyone’s attention even Arabella removed her earphones to listen.