An Evening Celebration

"...Ey, where's that new bottle of cologne from th' other day?" Ennis called out from the bathroom, peeking his head out of the doorframe, chin covered in puffy white shaving cream.

"I got it, jus' a minute..." Jack called back from the bedroom after a quick "spritz, spritz", and a "click" : the cap was back on Ennis' new bottle of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille fragrance that he loved so much.

Ennis shaved the stubble off of his face, washing away the remaining shaving cream with water from the sink, and dryed his chin.

The sound of quick shuffling from Jack's black oxford dress shoes got louder as he scampered toward the bathroom, adjusting his suit jacket on the way there.

A smiling, eyes crinkling Jack greeted Ennis once again, who was wearing his best white dress shirt and skinny black tie; they had both been running back and forth from their bedroom to the bathroom, getting ready for their big night.

Ennis and Jack had moved into a ranch at the foot of Brokeback Mountain on Monday, the beginning of the week. They were conveniently located right next to their favorite place, easy access whenever they wanted.

Tonight was Friday night, and it had been in Ennis and Jack's plans since the beginning of the week to celebrate their new beginning, in the fashion of an evening outing to a little club bar downtown.

"I see you've taken a likin' to that stuff, huh?"

The warm, sophisticated scent filled Ennis' nose as Jack sheepishly grinned, extending his arm with the molasses-colored bottle in hand.

"Dang right... Can't get enough of it." He looked down, chuckling. "Reminds me o' you."

Jack lifted up the lapel of his jacket to his nose slowly, inhaling the heavy, yet calming smell, his face relaxing into the scent. The corner of Ennis' mouth turned upward, forming a little smirk.

"Well, ya better not get tired of it. I gotta use it too... The whole house is gonna be smellin' like this stuff. Give it here." Ennis replied, reaching his hand out.

He grabbed the bottle from Jack's waiting hand and clicked off the cap.

Click. Spritz, spritz, spritz, spritz, spritz, spritz, spritz.

Ennis pumped the dispenser, moving the bottle swiftly all over himself, spraying the cologne onto his chest, his neck, and shirt sleeves.

"Oh god... now it's too strong!" Jack choked, wheezing, waving his hands around in the air.

He flipped the switch on the wall to turn the bathroom fan on, and the air started to clear out, the smell returning to its usual calming, rich fragrance.

"...Well whaddya expect when we both gotta wear it? Get your own!" Ennis laughed, stifling coughs, covering his mouth and nose with his elbow, his other arm fanning the air.

Once the air in the stuffy bathroom returned to its normal state, the two men took a step back, examining themselves in the large mirror. Jack looked behind his own reflection and noticed Ennis' black suit jacket hanging on the wall, and turned away from the mirror to pick it up. He gingerly removed it and opened it, walking closer to Ennis, and motioned for him to open his arms.

Arm by arm, Jack gently helped Ennis into his suit jacket, carefully focusing on each arm and his chest, affectionately smoothing out the fabric, unknowing to Ennis' face that paid no mind to Jack's hands, but all attention to Jack's concentrated face, Ennis' eyes glittering with admiration.