23.

3

3. Meet the Watanabe
family 👩👨‍🦱👧

Haruto arranged a date for Hotaru and his family to meet properly, since all the while Hotaru had been in hiding from them whenever they visited the apartment. It was funny how Haruto had managed to keep his family from finding out about her staying with him for so long.

Mrs Watanabe had graciously invited Hotaru over to their house for a home-cooked lunch that she would prepare.

When they had arrived at the Watanabes' house, Hotaru greeted his parents and then Airi, who was hiding behind her mother. The dining table was filled with a variety of dishes specially made with love by Haruto's mother.

"...So this is your temporary girlfriend from Australia?" Mrs Watanabe checked once again after Haruto had explained the story to them as they ate the food.

He told them that Hotaru was actually a Japanese student residing in Melbourne and had moved back to Japan temporarily because of her parents' business. It was something Haruto had randomly came up with while he was brushing his teeth in the morning.

"Your family must be very wealthy then." Mr Watanabe guessed.

Hotaru shook her head in response. "No, no... We're just average."

Airi, who was sitting opposite Hotaru, stared at her with curious eyes.

"So, you and my brother will break up after you leave for Australia? Then what's the point of dating in the first place?" She questioned suspiciously, earning a smack on the back from her mother.

"Airi! Don't say such things." Mrs Watanabe scolded her daughter and turned to Hotaru. "I apologize, my dear. Airi can be very blunt with her words. She's young and immature."

Hotaru laughed and replied, "It's alright."

She was very touched and thankful that she could enjoy a home-cooked meal from Haruto's mother. Mrs Watanabe scooped a plate of meat-sauce spaghetti and handed it to Hotaru.

"Let me tell you a little story about this. When Haruto was younger, he always asked me to cook meat-sauce spaghetti whenever he felt down." She explained, grinning at her son who looked a little embarrassed.

Hotaru turned to Haruto and giggled. "Really? That's very cute!" 

Haruto rolled his eyes at his mother and looked away. "Ugh, Mom! Not in front of my girlfriend, please."

Mrs Watanabe chuckled and squeezed Haruto's cheeks.

"My boy is all grown up already!" She exclaimed.