18.

Asahi followed Yuta down to the other temple where written prayers were hung on the ceiling

Asahi followed Yuta down to the other temple where written prayers were hung on the ceiling. Yuta uses his cane and points it at one lone prayer swinging back and forth on its own, much to Asahi's disbelief.

Please take care of our daughter, Hotaru. Please stop all of her pain and suffering and give her life to someone who really needs it. I pray that maybe one day, she will be able to understand and forgive us for making this decision.
- Ishiguro Akihito and Yumi

Asahi turned to Yuta, who was nodding his head. "Both their parents had come here to consult the previous shaman, Isa, and finally agreed to give Hotaru's life away, and it was given to the Watanabes' infant son, Haruto."

Yuta continued, "Even so, there is a price to pay. Haruto may continue to live, but he will have to see ghosts for the rest of his life."

Asahi continued to stare at the written prayer hanging from the lantern above. How had he not notice this? He bit his lip and looked away.

"Then why is Hotaru brought back to life? What is the meaning behind this?"

Yuta chuckled and put his arm around Asahi. "Ah, you are indeed still an amateur, young lad. Read that last line. The Ishiguros knew that Hotaru would've resented them for making this decision, so their prayer was that she will understand them. Her grudge, along with this prayer, made the deities give her chance to meet Haruto and let her feel that her life wasn't wasted away. This was also prophesied so that once Hotaru's 48 days are up, Haruto will be able to stop seeing ghosts forever."

Asahi still didn't understand, and Yuta could tell, so he elaborated.

"The two of them crossing paths will allow Hotaru to realize how Haruto deserved this life, and she'll be more than contented to move on when she understands that her parents had made the right decision."

But what Yuta didn't know was that the two were falling in love for each other, which should not be happening. This was impossible, unless there was a way to let Hotaru continue living.

"Asahi! Asahi!"

Hotaru and Haruto emerged from the door and rushed towards the shaman, only to be stopped in their tracks at the sight of the exorcist.

"W-who are you?" Haruto asked, looking suspicious and afraid at the same time.

Yuta smiled at him. "My name is Nakamoto Yuta, it's good to see you again, Haruto. You've grown up well."

Haruto turned to Asahi. "How does he know who I am?!"

Asahi sighed. "He's an exorcist. He knows a lot of things."

Hotaru hid behind Haruto. She looked weary and exhausted. He took her hand and gently brought her forward to Asahi.

"Is there a way... for her to continue living?" He questioned softly.