Chapter Thirteen: Innocent

Cephi was pacing furiously around his flat. Had been since Allen left. He had tried to stop, to calm himself several times, but he was just so angry. He trusted Allen. Trusted him. And the boy had betrayed that trust. It was no wonder the kid had been so earnest, so wanting of a relationship with a despicable creature like him. So perfect in every way that Cephi could think of.

        There was no doubt in his mind that bastard of an angel Theophilus had found and trained that boy to use against him. And he had almost been completely ensnared by those innocent eyes and beguiling smile.

        He wanted to yell. Rip his hair out. Punch something. Anything to relieve some of the pent up fury he was feeling. He had been so close to loving that kid. So close.

        His heart gave a painful lurch in his chest. Maybe he had been closer than he thought. He had forgotten how painful it was to lose someone. Sure Allen hadn't died, hadn't disappeared from this world, but Cephi's faith in the man had been crushed into little bits.

        Cephi clenched his fists in barely suppressed rage. He made a silent vow to never get close to anyone again. Every time he did something happened that left him feeling betrayed and lost. Whoever came up with the saying it's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all had gotten it wrong. It was so much better to go without anyone, to feel the gentle pull of loneliness than the sharp slap in the face that was betrayal.

        He let out an angry hiss.

        "Who peed in your Cheerios?" a snobbish voice drawled. And there was the owner of that voice leaning against his fridge, arms crossed with a crooked smirk on his annoyingly handsome face.

        Cephi crossed the room in two powerful bounds and grabbed a fistful of the smug man's shirt. "What the fuck are you doing here?" he growled.

        The man brushed Cephi's hands away easily, which just pissed the man off even more. "Come now, Cephirial, I thought we were friends," the man said sounding genuinely shocked by the rude welcoming he received.

        "Cut the crap," Cephi spat, "what do you want?"

        "Can't I just swing by to visit a friend? The man asked easily. The look on Cephi's face clearly stated that the answer to that question was no. And there was that F word again. Friend. No way, no how. Not with this man.

        "Jesus, will you just tell me why you're here." He demanded, about ready to pull his hair out again. The man was just so aggravating. His appearance so soon after Allen's betrayal was like adding salt and cyanide to a gaping wound.

        The intruder sighed, irritated, and brushed back a strand of dark hair. "Cephi, Cephi," he began in a sing-song voice, "as much as it flatters me to be called that name, how many times do I have to tell you, my name's Lucifer."

        Cephi let out a frustrated breath. He was getting absolutely nowhere with this infuriating man with his current attitude. It was time to try being reasonable. "Lucifer, I've had a really shit day. Can you please tell me why you're in my home." And maybe turn down your you-ness he added in his head.

        "If you don't know why I'm here then you're a bigger idiot than I thought," Lucifer shot back. Cephi gave a sharp inhale. He would not hit the ruler of Hell. He would not hit the ruler of Hell. He would not hit the ruler…

        "You really don't know why I'm here?" Lucifer asked with a skeptically raised brow. Cephi shot him a look that said duh.

        "No shit," Lucifer just stared at Cephi in wonder and Cephi stared back refusing to break the man's gaze. After a few minutes Cephi couldn't take it anymore. "Are you going to tell me what I'm already supposed to know or are we gonna continue to stare at each other?"