Chapter Six: Who Are You?

I looked around my surroundings in confusion. Where was I? Definitely not in my apartment. Too clean. And big. Definitely wasn't Tim's place either. If my apartment was a shoebox his was a matchbox. This place was way too big to ever be labeled with those words. It could have easily fit min and Tim's place inside it. And I was only in the living room. "Where am I?" I whispered in wonder, not really expecting any kind of answer.

        "You are in my home." A voice answered silkily. It was then that I noticed the guy standing in the corner. How had I missed him? It was the guy. I have a sinking suspicion that I'm dreaming. He spoke to me. Wait... I'm in his house. I pinched my arm and jumped when it actually hurt. Okay, so this wasn't a dream. I was actually in his apartment. I tried to surreptitiously glance at the guy, but it turned into full blown staring. He really was otherworldly. I couldn't tear my eyes away.

        His eyebrow rose and he cleared his throat. I had been caught. I felt my face heat up. Slightly embarrasses, didn't even have a proper introduction without acting like a complete fool. The man just smiled. And I wanted to melt.

        My curiosity got the best of me. And even though I had a sneaking suspicion that I knew his name I had to ask. "Who are you?"

        Instead of giving his name the man smirked. "I believe it is I who deserves to know who you are. After all, I've been helping a total stranger for the past four days." Four days? No way. I was asleep for four days.

        Helping me? A complete stranger? Me. Right... I knew him, at least on appearance, but he didn't know me. Awkward. My blush grew stronger. I sucked in a deep breath. Once I told him my name I'd be taking the plunge. But, I want to know him. Badly. "Allen. My name's Allen." I said.

        The man just stared at me as if waiting for me to continue. With what I had no idea. I told him my name. Was I supposed to tell him my horoscope, how much I weighed, the number of lightning bugs I had caught in my life? All those options seemed extremely unlikely.

        The man rolled his eyes. I think he thinks I'm slow. "Is there a last name that goes with that, Allen?" he drawled in a sickly sweet voice. I'm under the impression that he just might be making fun of me. But it seemed good natures. Nothing but humor and genuine curiosity sparkled in his expressive eyes.

        I whispered my last name. "Bruel."

        I watched as the man's eyes grew comically wide. Wish I knew why. Maybe he knew a Bruel. It wasn't a terribly common last name, but it's not unheard of. He shook his head, as if clearing away his current thoughts and fixed that gaze upon me again. His eyes were beautiful. He was beautiful.

        Kindness radiated from his words. "Well, Allen, how are you feeling?" You know I had thought this man was cool as a cucumber. Pictured him to be the brooding type with how often he was alone in that alley way, but he was so kind. To a total stranger. He could have left me in that alley. But I'm alive and kicking. I owe him so much more than that picture.

        Crap... the picture. I have no clue where it is anymore.

        "I have some questions I want to ask you, but if you're not feeling up to it right now I can wait until you're ready." My face paled. The very thought of questions made me feel extremely nauseous. The last bout of questions didn't go too well for me. I shuddered. This guy, he wasn't like the other people I'd be fine. But all the same I really don't think I'm ready for having an interrogation. I just woke up.

        "Oh, and the name's Cephi, by the way." The man offered a warm smile and a hand and I found myself shaking the hand without a second thought. It was warm and strong. I thought his name was Tiearyu. Well whatever his name was, mere contact with him put me at ease.

        I bit my lip. I wanted to please this man but the questions had to wait. "Um. Could I get a rain check on the questions? I could come back tomorrow. If that's okay. I'm just really tired right now." And it was true. I stifled a yawn. Yup after all the resting I did over the last four days, sleep sounded good...

        The man gave me a gentle smile. And I absolutely wanted to melt. "that's not a problem. You can come back sometime tomorrow. I will make sure I am here when you decide to drop by."

        It's official... I absolutely love him. Anybody who lets me sleep before an interrogation is okay in my book. "Thank you." I chirped happily.

        I said a hurried goodbye, focused on getting home as soon as possible and walked out the front door. It took me about 2.51 seconds too long to realize that I had absolutely no idea where I was. I turned around, feeling like a complete idiot and timidly rapped on the door I just exited. It was immediately answered by a very amused looking Cephi. He cocked a questioning eyebrow.

        "Uh." I started, ever the eloquent intellectualist. "Could you possibly show me how to get to my house from here? I have no clue where I am," I finished sheepishly raking a hand through my hair.

        The man laughed and showed me how to get to Tim's shop.

                                                        ~HS~

        Cephi was amazed. Never before had he been so smitten with a human. It just simply didn't happen. Never before had a human been able to look at him without going insane.

        And that boy had painted him. It was a damn good job too.

        There was something that bothered him though. Something not quite right about the kid.

        He had been passed out for four days. Muttering incoherently in more than one language... English yes, but Messenger, humans couldn't speak that. But the kid had spoken it with ease. In his fitful resting.

        On top of that, the extensive wounds just disappeared. They had been there one night when Cephi went to bed, and the next morning when he went to check on the boy, it was as if he was never hurt. As if he hadn't gone through an ordeal that almost ended his life.

        Cephi couldn't wait to as the kid questions about that night. About himself. For many reasons, Cephi wanted to know more about the creature that had been asleep on his couch for the last couple days. He wanted to know what kind of human could speak Messenger. What kind of human could paint a monster like him. What kind of human could look so endearingly up at him, with those big innocent eyes. The boy was out of this world gorgeous. At least that's what Cephi thought. Others might not be so inclined to agree, but there was a certain light about the child that had Cephi wanting to stay near him. And he didn't think he was imagining the blush he saw coloring Allen's face. If that was any indication, the boy at least liked what he saw. Cephi would have to charm him. He had been without any type of companion for so long. This kid would fill the need he didn't even know he had until laying eyed on the lad.

        Yes, he would figure this young man out. And hopefully gain a friend, or better yet lover out of the deal.