1

Ocean eyes

[Elizabeth]

The door swung open and Professor Mcgonagall stood there, with a stern face.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She said to Hagrid and pulled the door wide open. The Entrance Hall was so big it could have fitted my whole house in it. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.

We followed Professor Mcgonagall across the flagged stone floor. There was a drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right, the rest of the school must already be there. But she showed us, the first years into a small chamber off the hall. We crowded in, standing rather closely together than we would usually have done, peering about nervously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts" said Professor Mcgonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Each house has it's noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards.Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes." she added and left the room. After she left, everyone was more at ease and started to chat with friends they've made on the train or introducing themselves to make friends if they haven't. I already knew Harry, Ron and Hermione but i guess it wouldn't hurt to have more friends especially in such a huge school. I have to say, it was extremely difficult for me to make the first move since i'm such a shy and introverted person but to my surprise everyone here was so friendly and nice to me.
In just two minutes, i've already spoken Neville, Parvati and padma, seamus, dean and lavender but i was interrupted by a commotion. I turned around to see what's going on but there was already a crowd and i was too petite.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." Students started whispering to each other.
"This is Crabbe, and Goyle and I'm Malfoy...Draco Malfoy." Ron snickers at his name.
"Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley. You'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Dont want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there."

"I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks." Harry's voice replied coldly, rejected his offer to be his friend. The crowd quickly dispersed after the 'show' was over. I could finally see who that boy was. Taller than Harry and i but shorter than Ron, pointed face, pale skin with a tinge of pink and his striking platinum blond hair. His hair was very distinct, just like Ron and his family's.

Despite him sounding unkind and looking down on Ron, i felt bad that that he was humiliated in front of everyone. Maybe he just wanted to make friends but didn't know how.. i could relate to that.
I walked towards him quickly, wanting to make him feel better. He was in between his two friends, both were bigger than he was and i started to get nervous but it was too late, my hands were already reached out to tap his shoulders.

He turned around, an annoyed look on his face as his friends stared daggers at me. His look soften immediately replaced with an expression i couldn't make out. I studied his face, blue eyes i noticed almost grey. He stared back into mine, not breaking eye contact. It was as if he was trying to look into me. In contrast to the harsh tone he spoke to Harry in just now, his face was innocent. I quickly remembered what i was here for and reached out my hands earning a raised eyebrow from him.

"Hi ! I'm Elizabeth Valentine, nice to meet you." i said with a smile.
His eyes widen and he shook my hands firmly a few seconds later hesitantly.
"Malfoy. Draco Malfoy." He said and i noticed a small smile on his face. Draco Malfoy.
Draco Malfoy, i repeated his name in my head.
It suits him. Latin for dragon, greek for serpent and a constellation in the far northern sky.

He seemed to forget that he was still shaking my hand but i didn't mind, his hands were warm.

Professor Mcgonagall returned and he let go of my hand but not before he looked into my eyes one last time and smiled at me, this time wider and more genuine than the previous. He turned around to face her and i left to join Harry.
That was the last time i spoke to him.