Chapter 8 ~ Unveiling

Christopher hears the squeaking of the shower knobs while Daniel turns them to release the torrents of steaming elixir and prepare a comfortable temperature. His thoughts turn to the last occasion he had bathed. Surely, it was recently. Yes, in the creek bed, the month before Daniel arrived. In the days of drinking human blood, it was common to wash and change clothes to walk among mortals, but not everyone did. These days, he only takes the blood of animals that were brought to him or grew up on the manor. Therefore, he normally didn't bathe anything except his face and hands as they were the only parts that would be noticed by anyone, that is if he was to meet a mortal. That rare occurrence was perhaps a year ago, maybe longer. Time seemed to be irrelevant considering who or what he was.

While Christopher commences to disrobe, he sits on the sofa to chuck his boots. Next he unsashes and slides his trousers past ebony, down-covered, toned legs and removes old-fashioned stockings. Shortly afterwards, he casually unbuttons his ruffled shirt starting with the cuffs, then down the front casing. The shirt, a bit dated perhaps, yet functional, comfortable and what he was accustomed to donning. When he stands and shrugs the flouncy garment from his shoulders, he feels someone staring at his backside, perhaps even a barely audible gasp. As he pivots around, Daniel was in the entry of the privy facing the door frame.

"Umm, you might want to check the water to see if the temperature is to your liking," I suggest while nervously hiding my hands in my pants pockets and turning my flushed cheeks towards the bathroom interior. I attempt to conceal the knowledge of catching sight of scars upon his back, as they are reminiscent of the ones upon my own. The realization sets in that we will be exploring each others bodies for the first time in full luminescence as opposed to feeling our way by candlelight.

"I'm sure the temperature is fine as long as it is suitable for you. Now, what are we to do with your attire? I am certain you will not want to stand in the shower fully clothed?" he smirks. Christopher places his fingertips under my chin to lift my gaze to his. Peering into my eyes, his digits find the buttons to my shirt and wistfully begin their task of releasing their hold. In the process of his tenderly exposing my chest, my breathing halts to a degree that I become light-headed and slightly waver from side to side. My hands naturally find his broad shoulders to steady my gait.

"Are you alright, Daniel?" Christopher beseeches.

"Yes, I'm fine, I think," I cast a shy smile.

Christopher, while leaning against the vanity, balances my frame against his and frees the shirt from my upper torso, leaving my wrists entwined in the cuffs and cinched gently at my hips. After my fluttering vision returns, I haphazardly glance over his shoulder into the mirror as he passionately kisses my cheek, neck, collarbone and shoulder, and realize I am being held in place by an invisible force. For a moment I am startled, at the absence of his reflection.

Christopher once again notes a sudden tenseness in my torso, looks into my eyes and asks, "What is the matter now?"

"Nothing. It's just that I noticed you have no reflection. Then I remembered that is the reason vampires do not care to own or be near mirrors."

As your hands begin to gently push me away, I earnestly reassure, "It's alright. I understand. It's not your fault. Perhaps being humans we are all too haughty in our appearance. When in fact, it's interesting to view the presence of your body against my own, yet only see mine as I feel your touch and your kiss. Does that make any sense? Does it make you feel better, that I'm okay with that?"

He speaks while resuming his embrace and looking deeply into my eyes, "It only reminds me once again that I am not living. I am something caught between the two worlds of living and dead. That in itself is depressing to ponder. Even when I look into someone's eyes, I no longer see my reflection in them. Something so simple that most take that pleasure for granted."