10

I gasped, and he straddled me on the bed. He was pulling my pyjama down, and I asked in confusion, "What are you doing?"

I thought he's just drunk and mistaking me for his ex-wife. But what he said next was unexpected.

He said, "I'm giving you what you wanted. I know this is what you wanted. This is why you wanted to marry me. This is why you made Amelia make me promise to marry you. I will give it to you now."

He was berating me prejudicially. I was stunned by what he said. By the time I snapped out of the trance, he had laid his fingers on my panties. I swatted his hand hard and pulled myself away from between his legs.

I got up from the bed, put on the pyjama that he pulled down and gave a stern look at him. I sharply said, "This is not what I wanted. I agreed to marry you only for the sake of James and not you. If you hadn't done what you did now, we probably could have been friends the way we were at college. But now that you have said and done what you had to, we are no more the friends we once were."

I took a deep breath and said firmly, "From now onwards, we don't have anything to do with each other. The only relationship I will have with you is only through your son James and nothing else. Remember, you will never touch me ever again."

With that said, I turned around to take my laptop and pull my luggage before leaving his room.

I went straight to James' room and placed my luggage and laptop quietly so that I don't wake him up. After placing them in a corner, I opened the balcony and closed it slowly behind me. I let myself fall on the floor with my back leaning on the door.

I let my tears flow and cry silently. I kept whimpering and shaking as I cried. I remembered the day I first saw him in college. I recollected the days we spent happily as friends, the days I spent loving him from afar, the day we graduated, the shock I had, the day I confessed and left peacefully, the days I spent in utter confusion since Amelia Jones had called me, and lastly recollecting what happened today.

What happened to my life? How did it end up like this? Why did it become a mess like this? I kept questioning myself for a long time as I cried.

When the sun rose, I asked myself the most important question, which is: will I ever regret agreeing to take over the responsibility of raising the child?

I contemplated for a few minutes, and I came to the conclusion that I'll probably never regret my decision to take care of the child.

What if I was in a one-sided love? The world doesn't end for me just because the person I loved doesn't love me back. Nor is it gonna end because he doesn't know or realise what really happened between me and his ex-wife. It's not gonna end even if he never really knew or understood me. Maybe I was just not the person of any importance in his life. So be it. It does hurt, but my world ain't crumbling.

I gotta keep living for all those people who knew me and understood me. I gotta keep living for all those people who loved me and who still love me. I still have people whom I can call family, and I still have my two best friends.

I took over the responsibility of raising James, and I shall fulfil it appropriately. I never go back on my words, and I'll never regret doing anything once I have given my word.

I got up and went back into the room. James was sleeping, and I checked my phone to see if I missed any calls or notifications. There was none and when I checked the time, it was 6:08 AM. I've been sitting in the balcony for a whole night without a blink of sleep. I took a deep breath and sighed.

I gained my composure and thought of my schedule for today. I don't have any meetings or anything important for the next few days. I decided to stay at home today and take a much-needed sleep.

I turned to look at James. He would be waking up soon, out of hunger. I shall better feed him before sleeping. Now that I think about it, I'm hungry too, but I don't want to see him early in the morning, not after what happened yesterday.

I go to the bathroom and freshen up before going down the stairs. I find no one in the kitchen as it's still a few minutes past 6 AM, and the maids would be here probably at 7 or 8 AM. I search the refrigerator and find some milk and a few fruits. I make juice for myself while I boil the milk for James. I drink the fresh juice and pour the milk into a feeding bottle when it's warm.

When I was about to wash the dishes, the cook came and stopped me. She said that she would be doing the dishes and I would just need to mention what I would like to have for meals. So I told her that I'd be staying indoors today and what I'd be needing for my meals for the day. Then I asked her to bring it to James' room along with his milk. After informing her, I took the feeding bottle and went to James' room.

I went near his cradle and saw him sleeping; so I placed the feeding bottle on the table beside the bed. When I was about to sit on the bed, James woke up and started crying. I carried him and fed him the milk, after which he calmed down. I then put him back into the cradle and rocked him to sleep before going to sleep myself.

I woke up at around 11 AM. After a good bath, I scrolled through my phone randomly and saw Chris' text that said 'Hey'. I decided to tell Chris and so I called him and went to the balcony to speak.

It was 11:45 AM in London, which meant it would be 10:45 PM in Sydney. If he didn't pick up after 5 rings, I decided to call him some other time, but then Chris picked up the call after 3 rings.

I made some casual talk before saying to him that I got married to Jacob yesterday and that I'm living in the same house as him. I refrained from saying anything about Amelia Jones' promise or about James. Though I wanted to tell him about it, I didn't want to agitate him. I decided I would tell him when we meet and not through the phone.

After I said what I had to say, I heard him just say hmm and okay. I thought he was just tired and sleepy and didn't think about it anymore.

After some time, the maid came with our lunch. After feeding James and having my meals, I was whiling away my time by watching movies on my phone. I used the earphones and made sure to keep an eye on James the entire time.

I didn't step out of the room the whole day, and I slept at night immediately after putting James to sleep.