08

I took a taxi home and sat on the couch. I was freaking out since I left the cafe. I didn't want to sit in the house and think of something stupid, so I took my phone and called Freya. She picked up the call immediately and started rambling about how she is stressed. I cut her off by saying, "Let's go to a club. I need to get drunk. You get to choose the club and my outfit."

That's all I needed to say, and she was at my house in 30 minutes. She picked out a dress for me and we headed to a famous club around the city. Freya danced to relieve her work stress, and I kept drinking to drown everything that had happened today. When we returned to my home, we both were fully drunk.

The next few days, I kept receiving calls and messages from Amelia Jones. I did answer her calls but didn't reply to her messages. Her demands were too much for me, and I had to consider a lot of things.

It has been 5 days since I met her at the cafe. At night, after thinking it through, I decided I would reject her demands and went to sleep. After all, I had to do so much at work. I had to manage my parents' business, I had to get the murderer convicted, I had to inherit 'Evans Holdings'.

Next day, I didn't waver in my decision. When she called me in the evening, I had made it clear to her that I cannot agree to her demands and that I have a lot of reasons to reject it. Before I hung up, I heard a sound from the other side, but then I didn't think much about it.

The next day morning, around 7 AM, I got a call from an unknown number. When I picked up, a lady spoke in an urgent tone and said that Amelia Jones is admitted to Carl's hospital, and my number was her emergency contact.

I didn't think much and rushed to Carl's hospital when the lady said it's an emergency. When I was walking in the corridor, I heard someone calling my name. When I turned around, I saw Chris standing in front of me. When I saw him, I immediately asked, "Chris? What are you doing here?"

"Making rounds. This is a branch company of CW Foundations," said Chris. I nodded, and he seemed confused seeing me at the hospital. He asked, "Kate? Are you not feeling well? Why are you here?"

I shook my head and said, "I came to look for a patient." I took a deep breath and looked at his eyes as I said, "It's Amelia Jones."

Just when he was about to say something, his phone rang. He glanced at his phone and then said, "I have to go now. I have a meeting. If it's anything important or any problem, let me know. Okay?"

I nodded, and he left immediately. I then asked a nearby nurse for the direction to ICU. When I reached the ICU, a nurse came out from the ICU and called my name, saying that the patient wants to speak to me and that she doesn't have much time left.

I took a deep breath and went inside. Other than Amelia Jones and me, there were a few nurses and a doctor. Amelia Jones held my hand and started pleading, "Please marry Jacob. Please take care of my child."

When I shook my head, she turned to the doctor and called her, "Macy, bring my child here." When the doctor came near her, she told the doctor, "Macy, give her the child."

I was stunned when I heard her telling the doctor to give her child to me. The child was crying, and I was scared to hold the child. I've never once held a child before.

I shook my head and took a few steps back. The doctor named Macy walked up to me and pushed the child into my arms.

When I held the child properly, the child stopped crying. When he opened his eyes and saw me, I was strangely attracted to those eyes.

I looked at Amelia Jones and then at the child before asking, "What's his name?"

"James," said Amelia Jones.

I took a deep breath and said, "Fine, I will agree to your demands. But it's not for you or for your husband, it's only for this child. I feel a somewhat strange connection with the child. I lost my parents when I was still in mid-teens. I will be there for this child until he can take care of himself, but I will never let him forget you."

Amelia Jones nodded, and her breath became even more uneven. She said, "Now, it's time I tell Jacob about everything."

I snapped, "What? You didn't tell any of this to your husband?" I frowned and asked, "Does he even know about your complications?"

Amelia Jones shook her head and said, "No, I didn't tell him anything. I know how he would react."

She signalled Macy and when she opened the door, he rushed inside and held his wife's hand, crying. She took a deep breath and said, "Jacob, listen to me. I don't have much time now."

He was shaking his head and crying, but she continued talking, "I only have one wish. I want you to marry Kate."

He shook his head more vigorously and said, "I'll never re-marry."

She screamed at him, "Jacob, this is my last wish. My death wish." She gasped for air and pleaded in a faint voice, "Will you fulfil it, please?"

He nodded, and she took her last breath soon after. I saw her heartbeat flatline and took a few steps back. After a moment of thought, I laid the child next to his mother and left the room.

For the next 5 days, her husband Jacob, her family and his family mourned for her death.

Chris had called me and I told him that Amelia Jones is no more. He seemed to have been busy, so I told him that we can talk once he gets free and hung up the call.

Later that day, I was putting James to bed. When I walked out of James' room, I saw James' father standing in the hallway. When I was walking towards the main door, I heard him say, "Tomorrow at 10 AM, at the registry office, let's get married."