Chapter Three

Adrienne's POV 

---

The thing about reaching your goals in life is that sometimes it gets boring. Not in the sense I want to give it up. In the sense I miss having something to aim for, some standard that only I hold myself to. Now I'm expected to adhere to the standards of others and who they think I should be.

"Ms. Dietrovich, do you have any comments on Jose Ramirez claiming to be in a relationship with you?"

"Can you confirm if you are the cover of the next edition of Forbes?"

"Ms. Dietrovich! Just a moment of your time-"

"Ms. Dietrovich is busy today, she will not be answering any questions. Thank you for your time." Amir says dismissively, herding me into the car. I sigh and let myself sink into the chair. I'm exhausted, and I can't wait to get home.

"Home, Miss?" I don't bother to respond, just nodding in agreement.

"What would you like for dinner tonight?" I shut my eyes, listening to the soft ambiance of the music in the car.

"I don't know, whatever you think sounds good, Amir." I was confident whatever he chose would be good, I haven't encountered a dish of Amir's I haven't liked.

"Mansaf, let's have mansaf." I can feel his gaze flick towards me momentarily before settling back on the road.

"Very well. I will have to go out and buy ingredients. Alexander will be on duty tonight."

"I thought his daughter was due soon? Didn't you give him time off?" Alexander had been with me for a long time, just like Amir. Alexander was one of my first hires, a kind man who had immigrated to America with his family, seeking asylum from war. They had thrived here.

"I did, ma'am. He insisted on coming back to work. He wants to spoil his first grandchild." We both smile, knowing that was exactly what he'd do.

"Will you be going out this evening? Ms. Davis had asked if you could "have a girls night" soon." I watch the road, recognizing the familiar turn before the house.

"I'll call her later, and she probably already has plans by now. I wouldn't want to disturb them." Xara was a wild card for sure. She storms into your life like a hurricane and makes you fall in love with her personality, but she never stays in one place too long. She loves to travel, volunteering with Doctors Without Borders.

"It seems that won't be necessary, Miss." Amir says as he brings the car to a halt. Laying on the lawn was Xara. Alexander besides her, both laughing at something the other had said.

"I'll go park the car." I open the car door going to join the pair.

"Hello, Ms. Dietrovich." Alexander's voice greets me, his thick Bosnian accent and deep baritone making him sound much more threatening.

"Good afternoon, Alexander. I wasn't expecting to see either of you today."

"You never replied to my message, so I figured you were buried in work and needed someone to force you to take a break."

"That's laughable coming from the doctor who works days on end with no rest in sight." We both hold eye contact before she breaks out into a smile, bringing me into a hug.

"It's good to see you, Adrienne. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, Xara."

---