Chapter One

Adrienne's POV

    ---

"No, just let me know when I have to actually be there."

"The meeting starts at ten o'clock, Ms. Dietrovich; please attend on time for once." His voice was slightly exasperated and unamused.

"Of course, I'm not going to be late. Where are- Amir?" I tossed my phone aside, realizing he had hung up on me. I open my email, getting ready to start the day off by reading the influx of requests, reports, and appointments that I've been neglecting. Maybe if I ignore them for long enough they'll go away.

There's something to be said about waking up on time and yet still not doing what you said you'd do. I miss the days when I had less corporate rubbish to worry about. But alas, when you somehow actually become successful, paperwork is always part of the agreement. It's kind of like a deal with the Devil, which is why you must take every opportunity to shirk responsibility and hard work till the very last moment.

As I was looking into certain projects that I wanted to hold fundraisers for, a knock on the door pulls my attention away.

"Come in."

Jamie, my secretary, opens the door, stumbling his way into my office with what appears to be coffee and a strawberry parfait. 

"You didn't have breakfast yet, does this work?" He smiles weakly, placing the items on my desk.

"Yes, thank you, Jamie."

"No problem, this is usually what Amir brings you, so I thought it'd do the trick."

"If that's all?"

"Oh, that's all. Well, have a work good today?" My brows furrowed in confusion as he recognized his mistake.

"Sorry! I- I mean that I hope you have a good day, Ms. Dietrovich." I nod, dismissing him from my office. I look back up, and he's still in the room, his hands fiddling with the hem of his sweater.

"Is there something else you need?" His eyes are glued to the floor.

"I was wondering if it was possible if I could have the next few days off?" Jamie rushes out, his eyes finally meeting my own.

"Oh."

"I'm sorry, I know this is probably an inconvenience. My mother died last night, and my family needs me at home right now." His eyes are wide and pleading, as though expecting me to say no.

"Okay, you can have two weeks of paid leave. You can go."

"Really? I mean, yes, of course! I'll pick a replacement."

"No need, go home, Jamie." He nods eagerly, rushing out.

I glance at the digital clock on my desk, waiting for my excuse to leave this godforsaken office. An hour into the ridiculous amount of emails I've replied to, the irritating ringtone of my phone goes off. Amir's name lights up on the screen. I scramble to answer; after all, any excuse to escape paperwork works for me.

"You're late."

Shit.

"I'm on my way. I'm almost there." I lie, grabbing my necessities and tucking the laptop under my arm.

"I don't appreciate being lied to. You're still in your office, aren't you?"

I quickly hang up before he can admonish me any more, exiting my own personal prison, and locking the door behind me. I rush into the elevator, pushing the button to the thirty-eighth floor. I take a deep breath, collecting myself, and putting on my well-mastered façade before stepping off.

"Your meeting is with potential investors from the Richmond, Owen, and Harlow groups. They own several lucrative real estate areas. Here are the proposal files along with the rest of the details you'll need. You're trying to convince them to sell you the land rights, Ms. Dietrovich. This is a very good opportunity for the growth of the company."

"So, in other words, Amir, they need me more than I need them?"

"Yes, ma'am." A small smile graces his lips as he opens the door to the conference room for me.

Authors note:

So... We like?

Love, Vix, and Noir