45 | the bonus

Six months after the proposal

"Viv! Your hair, oh dear god! These hairclips are no good at all!"

I sigh in exasperation as Mum, Angie and Kate fuss over my hair, which refuses to be tied down by a dozen or so hairclips. In the end, out of impatience, I yank all the clips from my hair, let it fall down in its natural waves, and turn around to face the three horrified people in front of me.

"Yeah," I nod, "My hair's gonna remain this way, whether you like it or not. I can't bear all these clips, sorry."

After a moment of stunned silence, Mum finally relents. "Fine, if that's what you're comfortable with. Plus, it's actually looking better this way, I think."

They then get busy fixing a flower crown atop my head, as I stare at myself in the mirror.

The dress I'm wearing is beautiful, a shimmery, sheer white number, with hints of silver here and there. I've opted to go without a veil, since I'm not too fond of them.

Finally, after another fifteen minutes of fussing and last minute changes, my favourite girls look at me with tears in their eyes.

"You look so beautiful, Viv," Kate says. She looks about ready to cry. Angie nods too.

Mum bursts into tears. "When did my baby grow up so much? Just a while back I was getting her ready for her first day of Bloomwood, and now she's getting married!"

I laugh, as tears prickle my eyes too. Who knew, right? Who knew things would turn out this way? Not even eight years ago, Archer and I hated each other's guts. And now we're about to get married.

"Okay," Angie says, checking her phone. "We need to take our places as maids of honour, and Mrs Wentworth, you need to go back to your seat now. It's almost time."

Mum nods, wiping her tears away. She gives me a kiss on the forehead and then exits the room. Kate and Angie follow suit.

I look at myself for a moment more, in the mirror. What will Archer think when he sees me, walking down the aisle with pink and white roses in my hand? What will his face look like? Oh god, I don't think I can dare to look him in the eye while walking.

I am on the verge of panicking when I hear a knock on the door. I sit up.

"Who's there?"

"Vi?"

I freeze for a moment, then run to the door. I don't open it, instead I whisper frantically through the wood. "Arch! What are you doing here?! You're not supposed to be here!"

He whispers back. "I know, but I snuck out for a bit to see you. I really wanna see you, Vi, please, just open the door a bit."

"No! You're not supposed to see me till I walk down the aisle, you moron! Now go back to the garden!"

That's right, the wedding is taking place in our very own garden, which is large enough to house our close friends and family, and has been beautifully decorated with wicker chairs and tables, and fairy lights for the occasion.

I can imagine Archer making puppy eyes from the other side of the door. "Please, Vi, just one second!"

"No, now go back. You'll see me anyway just a few minutes later."

"Fine," he grumbles, "be like that. You stink."

I laugh. "Course I do. Now go."

Just a few minutes later, as I am getting my bouquet ready, Dad knocks on the door and comes in. He draws in a breath on seeing me, his eyes getting watery too.