Chapter 40: Hold his attention

Start from the beginning

I finished that drink and threw the cup in the bin. I just needed something to calm down my nerves, give me some courage. Thankfully, it worked.

Whatever I had just put in my system worked. And it worked fast. I sighed and felt happier and lighter. I wasn't drunk but rather just calmer.

With my back on the bar counter, I stood next to Darius and saw him watching me out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head so that I was looking at him, "What?"

He lightly chuckled to himself, looking out to the crowd of people before staring back at me, "That drink worked fast. You seem a lot calmer than before." I rolled my eyes and laughed, well done captain obvious.

"No shit," I sarcastically commented. I deeply inhaled and watched how everyone was having a good time, dancing, laughing, drinking, just letting go and having fun. The song that was being boosted on the large speakers in the corners of the room abruptly stopped, but it wasn't long till another song was being blasted through the room next. It was honestly no wonder why the walls and floors felt like they were shaking with the way music was being played both underneath us and where we were stood now. To be honest, I was surprised that the neighbours hadn't made a complaint yet.

I pulled myself out of my thoughts and back into the room. I recognised the beat of the song that was playing and turned to Darius. I grabbed his arm and started pulling him towards to swarm of people bouncing along to the beat, "This is one of my favourite songs. You have to come and dance with me."

It felt like he had glued his shoes to the ground with how much he was resisting against me. "I don't do dancing," he chuckled and looked at me.

I threw my head back and complained, "Dar, come on. Please, just for me?" I pouted.

"No. You go though," he said once he had stopped shaking his head humorously at my terrible attempt at convincing him.

I dramatically let go of his arms, "Ugh, fine. Stay up here though. I don't want to go searching for you again."

"Deal." I watched as his back grew further and further away till he was stood back where I had found him not long ago.

I danced along to the music and felt happy. There was a little thing in my stomach that kept pestering me, making me worry but I just ignored it. I let my hair down and forgot about everything – get lost in the music.

I felt a body stumble into my back as I moved through the masses of people. I turned around to see who it was, only to see that the person had disappeared. One thing that did catch my eye, however, was someone across the room.

Jace was stood with his back up against the wall. My view was obstructed by the girl stood in front of him. He was looking down at her as she looked up at him, her finger tracing up and down his arm.

The sight of someone else in his arms reignited a fire inside me burn brighter than the sun on a summer day. It wasn't her fault, no, it was his. I came here wanting to let go, but here I am feeling more frustrated than I was earlier today.

I was just getting ready to leave when his eyes slowly lifted from her and stared at me. I stared back at him from across the room. There was no emotion on his face or in his eyes, it was the complete opposite to how he was with me.

He glanced down at the girl and looked back up at me with a faint smile on his lips. I was stood, stuck to my position. Even though there were people barging into me, pushing past me, I couldn't move. I was fascinated by him once again. I was transfixed at the sight of him again.

The smile on his lips wasn't the one I loved. No, it was merciless, unforgiving, heartless – something that I wasn't used to.

I felt as if I should have left, moved, stopped watching. I was over him, so why wasn't I able to move? Why wasn't I able to act like I was over him? I knew I should have left. I knew I should have got Darius and drove home the second I saw him, but knowing that he was here, the thought of bumping into him again, kept me here.

My eyes cautiously flickered from his hand that was moving up into his hair underneath the hood of the dark blue hoodie and to his crystal blue eyes. He ran his hand through his soft hair and I instantly remembered how it felt in between my fingers when we'd be watching a movie together.

My breathing became uneven when he repositioned his hand to the side of the girl's face. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't help but want to be her – be in her position right now. Jace glanced back down at the girl who's face his hand was holding.

A small smile danced against his lips. He leant in closer to the girl and it felt like my heart had gone into overdrive and stopped at the same time. He was inches away from her face when he glanced back up at me, making sure that I was still watching for when he crashed his lips onto hers.

My heart was in my throat and my palms sweating. I saw them kiss, her where I used to be. I felt like I wanted to throw up and scream, but I stood there and waited. Waited till he had finished.

She took her hands out of his brown hair as he lifted his head. The features on his face told me that he was surprised to see that I was still stood where I was. But that was quickly overtaken by confusion as I smiled pettily and winked at him.

I needed to get and hold his attention.

I walked quickly and efficiently, weaving in and out of people, being careful not to get pushed over. I came to a halt and spun round; sure enough, he was still watching. Just how I wanted him to.

I licked my lips and smiled at him, tilting my head to the side. I turned to Darius and whispered something in his ear. I purposely whispered rather than just speaking as it would piss Jace off more.

"Dar, I'm going to do something and I need you to go along with it. Okay?" I said quietly into his ear before pulling myself away from him and staring into Dar's eyes. I needed to confirm that he knew what I meant for this to work. He lightly nodded his head. Perfect!

I returned my vision to Jace, only to be met with a furious glare. I chuckled and grinned at him; he gave me the reaction I wanted.

I grabbed Darius' arms and snaked them around my waist. I placed my hand on the back of his neck and stared into his eyes. I looked at him apologetically before placing my lips onto his. I took my spare hand and used it to put my middle finger up in Jace's direction; I didn't have to check if Jace was staring, I knew he would have been.

Darius seemed to get the idea and kissed me back. I almost forgot what I was doing and pushed him off me. Darius looked at me with widened eyes. He turned his body and grabbed his drink and downed it in one swift movement.

I turned to where Jace was previously stood, but he was gone. The only person I could recognise was the girl he had kissed.

I eagerly looked around the room when I caught a glimpse of his head disappearing through the front door.  

(A/N) BRO THIS VERY CHAPTER WAS SOMETHING I HAD PLANNED FROM THE FIRST TIME I EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS STORY. EVEN BEFORE I KNEW THE NAMES AND BEFORE I HAD WRITTEN THE FIRST CHAPTER. 

Another cliff hanger I'm sorryyy

Anywayyy, what did you think of everyone's (especially Ivy's) attitudes? 

Thank you for reading :)