Chapter Twenty-Eight

you day began on the forest floor. "what..." you sat up and looked around. you recognized Jaspers clearing, even through your blurry vision and pounding head.

how did i get here?

you assumed you wandered there after work, blacked out or in deep thought, and passed out in front of Jasper.

"oh, good morning." Jasper said loudly from her cave. her words dropped with sarcasm, and she threw something at you roughly.

you picked up the granola bar gingerly. Jasper continued, "humans need nutrients. that's what that Peridot your friends with told me. she also said you weren't eating much." Jasper scowled.

"uh, yeah i haven't really had an appetite lately." you shrugged and unwrapped the granola bar.

Jasper nodded. "i can relate. i lost my appetite for power and vengeance a while ago."

"right, yeah. totally the same thing..." you nodded slowly and took a bite of the bar.

"so, how did you get here exactly?" Jasper stepped into the sun, squinting like it personally offended her.

you stretched. "not sure, i was hoping you would know." you laughed forcefully, hoping to lighten the mood.

it didn't work.

"hm." Jasper frowned. "you don't know how you got here?"

you shook your head. "no, must've blacked out or something."

Jasper made a face, and nodded slowly. "is that a normal thing humans do?"

"yeah." you said quickly. Jasper raised an eyebrow. you groaned. "no, i'm probably just stressed." you covered up your rising nervousness with a shrug.

Jasper pursed her lips. "is that healthy? should we do see Stev- a doctor? like that doctor who birthed of Ste- a gems friend. should we go there?"

you sighed. you had always liked Jasper because of how blunt she was. now, she was starting to go soft on you.

"no, it's alright." you sighed and looked out into the forest.

"okay..." Jasper said slowly. she looked in the direction of Beach City, suddenly uncomfortable with the energy you were creating.

it was heavy with sadness and confusion.

regret. anger. depression.

maybe i do need help.

no, i need him.

i need Steven.

(edited!)