Chapter Twenty-Seven

"do you think you'll ever get over him?" Bismuth asked you.

Bismuth was quickly becoming one of your favorite gems. she was understanding, and easy to talk to.

you and her were atop the tallest building in Little Homeworld. (the one with the spinny thing on the top, idk what it is) you liked hoping up there, especially when you needed a break from work, or just people in general. it was just a coincidence that Bismuth was up there too, and you soon started chatting.

Steven was on the ground below, chatting happily with a few gems. they were building another house for new arrivals from Homeworld.

Steven was laughing loudly, happily. the sound carried up to your ears, and made your stomach ache. he looked like he didn't have a care in the world. his brown hair shone in the sunlight, and of course, his now most prominent feature; his consistently bright pink eyes.

no one could understand why his eyes suddenly changed colors. he just came to Little Homeworld one morning with piercing pink eyes. he didn't bring it up to anyone, and no one dared to discuss it with him.

he suddenly carried a terrifying aura with him, as if daring anyone to test him. but his personality was the same as always, happy and helpful.

just like before he met you.

you, on the other hand, kept your head down when walking now. you mostly ignored people when they said hello to you, and made sure to go to and from work as quickly as possible. that wasn't all too unnatural for you though. you just went back to the way you were.

just like before you met him.

you watched Steven walk around below you carefully, as you found yourself doing most days. you did it quite shamelessly, to be honest, and it was a miracle no one had noticed you yet. it was painfully obvious that you missed him.

suddenly, before you could even blink, Stevens bright pink eyes found yours, and he froze. it was like it was only the two of you in the universe.

his happy facade slipped, just for a moment. his eyes softened, flashing chocolate brown before returning to pink.

until, all too soon, someone tapped on Stevens shoulder. he turned away, clenching his fists so he wouldn't look back at you. and you were left staring at his back.

a small sigh escaped your lips as you turned away, looking up at the sun.

"no, i don't think so."

(edited!)