Chapyer Thirty-Nine

it's... been a while...

Steven had woken up early that morning, leaving you comfortably sleeping in bed. he made himself a smoothie and sat down on the couch, scrolling through his phone messages in a calm silence.

you woke up with a jolt, gasping for air. your nightmare had felt so real. when you looked over to the other side of the bed -the side steven slept on- and realized it was empty, tears started to well up in your eyes.

you threw the covers off, hoping and praying for his safety as you threw his bedroom door open and ran down the stairs.

he was sitting calmly on the couch, a little surprised by your sudden appearance on the steps. "good morning." he said with a calm smile.

your knees went weak with relief, and you collapsed at the bottom step. tears rolled freely down your cheeks, and you had to put your head in your hands to differentiate dream from reality.

"Y/N? what's wrong?" he got up quickly, sitting on the step beside you and wrapping his arms around your middle. he ran his fingers through your hair comfortingly, letting you rest your head against his shoulder. "are you alright? what happened?"

you wrapped him in a tight hug. "i- you-" you couldn't speak, too busy trying to calm yourself down.

he shushed you softly, rubbing your back with his other hand. "just take your time. tell me what happened."

"i had a nightmare." you finally managed. "you were- and pearl was crying and-"

"i'm here, Y/N, i promise. i'm right here." he pulled away a little, smiling down at you warmly.

you were finally able to collect yourself enough to tell him what happened. "you and the gems came back from a mission... but something killed you and- and you were laying on the couch and there was so much blood." you couldn't breathe, thinking back to the terribly realistic nightmare.

Steven pulled you close again, gently stroking the back of your head. "it was just a nightmare. i'm right here with you. please don't be upset..." he soothed.

"it was so cold and there was so much blood." you repeated, shaking against him.

"baby, it's not real," he whispered, "none of that was real. i'm here."

you nodded, moving back a little to look at him. "when i woke up and you weren't in bed i- i thought maybe-"

"it's okay, i'm right here. i'm not leaving you. and i never will." he smiled and kissed your cheek. "do you want some pancakes? i was gonna make some when you woke up."

you couldn't help but smile a little. "pancakes sound great."

(edited!!)