A Selfless Act

Part 9: A Selfless Act

"What is he doing here?" Kol growled, stepping into the house, crushing Elena's only hope of getting out.

Qeetsiyah planned to lock them all in that house until she found a spell or they all killed each other.

Damon had resided on the opposite end of the room when Elena refused to acknowledge he was there.

Elena couldn't bare talking to Damon, lying to him. Every word she said was a lie when she couldn't admit to loving an original.

"Ask your little girlfriend," Qeetsiyah smirked, looking at Elena with fake shock. "Oops, looks like the cats out of the bag."

"What the hell is she talking about?" Damon was suddenly on his feet and in Kol's face. Every single muscle in his body was tense as he got images of Kol and Elena alone on the other side.

"Did she not tell you? Well we were a bit of an item, weren't we sweetheart?" The question was directed at Elena, but his eyes never left Damon as he smirked, hiding his insecurity.

"Shut up Kol!" Elena shouted, causing his smirk to drop as they both turned towards her. "I didn't want you to find out like this, Damon."

"All that time alone, I was an idiot to think he wouldn't seduce you. How long did it take for you to forget me? I loved you Elena, and you moved on... Do you love him?" Damon was afraid to hear the last part.

Elena didn't answer, just looked down, guiltily. Damon took that as a yes.

"Do you still love me?" Damon's voice was close to breaking, and his tears were fighting to escape, but he wouldn't let them.

"Of coarse I love you! I'm so sorry. I never wanted to put you through this again. I didn't want it to happen." Elena's eyes were watering and a few tears escaped.

Kol was standing back, as his heart tore a little but more with each word. She still loved Damon.

"Don't worry about putting me through anything." Damon's face lost all emotion as he looked her dead in the eyes. "We find whatever spell she's looking for and I'm gone. You can come with me, but I'm done fighting for you."

Damon walked towards Qeetsiyah's shelf and grabbed a book, carrying it into another room and shutting the door behind him.

"Looks like you've created a bit of a mess," Qeetsiyah smirked, still searching through her books.

"Kol I'm sorry, I didn't want to say that here, but...I don't think I'm ready to be with you. I just can't." Elena walked up and graves a book of her own, walking into the room next to Damon.

"The game has just begun." Kol smirked.

*************

The sun was starting to set and everyone was gathered in the living room, searching for the spell. Damon was sitting at the table, barely reading as his eyes continued to wander to Elena. Elena was sitting on the floor, across from Kol as he continued to stare at her and wink privately, causing her to smile until she looked up at Damon and saw him glaring. Qeetsiyah was sitting on the couch, trying to contain her amusement, watching the scene, repeat.

"This book is entirely Latin, I can't find anything." Elena complained, tossing the book to the side.

"Wait! Hand it over!" Qeetsiyah shouted, holding her hand out and snatching it greedily. "This is it!"

"What? You found the spell?" Elena asked, standing up along with Kol and Damon as they all huddled around the witch.

"No, I just love the way it looks," Qeetsiyah replied sarcastically. Elena rolled her eyes, trying to ignore her.

"What spell?" Elena looked at the page, forgetting it was in Latin.

"He's a warlock now, thanks to the five, so he can get into your head. If I do a different type of cloaking spell, I can cloak your memories and replace them with Amara's, then you can make him believe you are his one true love. Once his guard is lowered," Qeetsiyah turned towards Damon and Kol, "you two will kill him."

"He'll hear me coming and one of us isn't quite as invisible as the other," Damon deadpanned, feeling as if their plan had failed.

"That's not my problem." Qeetsiyah then walked into her room and the door swung shut behind her, with a loud echoing bang.

"I have an idea," Kol turned to Elena, with a smirk of triumph. Damon and Elena both narrowed their eyes, until they realized what he was suggesting.

"I've been drinking vervain, and I prefer not to be bled dry by another original." Damon had a humorless smirk on his lips. He hated Kol with every fiber of his being and wouldn't let him into his thoughts.

"Damon..." Elena trailed off, genuinely considering the idea, except the bleeding dry part. "It would take about two weeks for it to pass your system. it's the safest plan."

"And leave you here with this psycho? No way. Its never going to end, Elena, I will protect you until I die." Damon realized this a while ago, but couldn't admit it. He would rather die than loose her to Kol.

"It won't take long if you continue to be this stubborn, mate." Kol tried to convince him to leave. He wasn't really into the idea of sharing her affections with a baby vampire.

"Stop! Just stop! This is madness! I'm sorry for putting you both through this, but I'm done. I'm tired of loosing people I love because I was selfish. I'm done being selfish, and I'm done stringing you both along. I love you...both of you, that's why I can't be with either of you. Once Silas is dead, I'm leaving, so you both can move on and stop trying to protect me. Don't try to find, don't think about me, just forget about me. Please." Elena had tears running down her eyes, as she ran into the same room she was in earlier.

"Your not giving up, are you?" Damon asked Kol, as they both watched Elena slam the door and heard the muffled sounds of her crying.

"Not even close," Kol replied, keeping his face blank of any emotion.

"Game on," Damon smiled cockily, walking into the room next to Elena's.

Kol had a different idea when he slowly opened Elena's door and found her sitting next to the window, crying silently.

"Kol please-" Elena started to ask him to leave, but he cut her off with a kiss.

Their lips moved in sync and Elena could resist kissing him back. Feeling her skin tingle with his touch.

"Try forgetting me," Kol whispered, pulling away.

Elena looked at him with her eyes closed, with her lips still parted slightly and a longing written across her face.

"Kol..." Elena uttered into the otherwise silence of the room. Her heart was beating a mile a minute and her breathing was still labored a little.

She opened her eyes slowly, only to see that Kol was gone and the room was empty. It was quiet and lonely and Elena realized she was in love with Kol.

A/N: I didn't want to drag on the Kol/Damon/Elena love triangle, so a few more chapters and Damon will be completely friend zoned.

And I posted A KAILENA (Kai and Elena) fanfiction! Votes and Comments would be appreciated.

Love you all!(;
~Bella