30. Adulting sucks.

Börja om från början

I chuckle amongst the sobs. This is sisterly love, I guess.

"What.. Are you kidding me?" Ambar says as I slowly stand up from the ground and wipe my tears.

He wasn't supposed to know, how weak I have been. Sabina shouldn't have said that.

"You are a cop. Shut up and tell me ways to break this door." Sabina says as I unbolt and open the door.

"No need.." I say as few tears stream down my eyes.

"You're okay.." Ambar says and immediately pulls me in a tight hug.

"I tried to send him away when he showed up at the door, but mom heard his voice and recognized it. So Of course, she is not going to let him leave until she makes something special for him. She was getting the batter of Dhokla ready, I suppose when you arrived." Sabina says and enters the room plopping on the bed.

"Why is he here?" I ask still in Ambar's arms.

"His wife, who was pregnant with a baby boy died in a car accident. He wanted to come home with his daughter, among people he loves. Change of place and stuff." Sabina tells me before turning to Ambar and continues..

"And you.. Mr. Son-in-law.. Stop supporting her when she's upset about that spineless moron. She's a fool to still feel like this and she knows this.." Sabina says and gets up walking out.

"Oh and also, If she starts crying in her sleep, call me. I'll love to slap the shit out of her. For old times sakes.. and keep an eye on her. I'll handle the douche." She says and goes away.

"Is your sister an undercover agent or what?" Ambar asks.

"No.. why?" I ask.

"I get this vibe that she has been undercover with some Mafia or something and the character somehow stuck." He says and I laugh amongst tears.

"You are an idiot." I say as he wipes my tears and smiles.

"Smile suits your ugly face.." he says.

"Excuse me.. How dare you? You are no Mr. World or anything.." I say getting angry and pushing him away.

"Okay. Fine. Sorry. I know you're beautiful. I was just teasing you." He says and I frown.

"I should go wash my face and meet him properly, now that the shock has subsided." I say and he holds my wrist.

"Are you sure? You don't have to." he asks looking at me as I look down on the floor.

"His wife died.. The least I can do is not hide in my room."

"You don't have to, if that affects your mental health.. Remember what you told Chetan? No one is worth your Mental peace." He says and I nod.

"I'm fine. Go down. I'll join you in a second." I say and he nods.

"Don't do anything stupid in my absence. I'm starting to get scared of your sister." He says and I laugh pushing him out.

I wash my face, getting rid of the headgear (tikka) and pat dry my face and neck with a towel before going downstairs.

I took those ten minutes of selfcare, alone to put my thoughts in place. I wasn't sure If I was doing the right thing. But I knew this was me, being an adult.

"Crime is a lot less in developed countries and walking on the street late at night, is so much safer compared to here." Tarun says.

"Yes, I agree. But Crime is more because of the leaders we elect that make up the constitution, which doesn't entail stricter laws. It's not because police is inefficient in India. We catch criminals and sometimes they leave the court unscathed due to their links. We need better leaders, not brains." Ambar says proving his passion for his work.