Chapter 16- Nevaeh

Ember's POV

For a moment the desire to just sit and observe everything overwhelmed all of my other wants. So I found a calm place with an unobstructed view of the kids all playing together. With Cadence safely tucked in my arms, sound asleep, I kept my eyes on Riah as he interacted with the few kids that tagged along with their parents for this meeting. 

The joy and pure childlike wonder that covered his features brought a content smile to mine. His unadulterated happiness brings me my own form of absolute fulfillment. One that is unmatched by anything to date. 

Out of recent habit my free hand made its way to the pendant hanging from my neck. My thumb smoothed over the unblemished surface. An energy exuded from the mysterious charm, almost as if it were soaking up the happiness around it. I let out a sigh, not of discontent, but one of acceptance. This is my life. My children, my mate, my family. This is what my parents wanted for me, and I can breathe. 

As Cadence stirred in my arms, I brought my attention down to her. One of her little hands found its home against my cheek, as it often did as she awoke from her naps. Her unique eyes opened and when she took in my features her tiny mouth formed a perfect little smile. It is my understanding that she is far too smart for a three month old baby. She is advanced for her age, and it fascinates me to think of what she will accomplish in her life. 

"Hi, baby Cay, how'd you sleep?" I questioned in a sweet tone as if she could actually answer. She responded with a slight giggle, that I took as a good sign. "Wanna watch brother play?" I cooed before I turned her and set her in my lap with her back pressed against my chest. She saw Riah running with the soccer ball and she squealed while reaching her arms out to him. 

"How are my girls?" My mate's voice sounded beside me as he sat down on the log next to us.

"We are good. We are really good." I told him with nothing but honesty. "Are all the packs here yet?" 

"Just about. We are waiting for one more pack. Did you want to greet this one with me?" He asked. I had taken to watching the kids while he greeted each Alpha, Beta, and or Luna that had arrived. We figured the less exposure to my power the better. 

When Zander brought the idea about I pointed out that it could be seen as rude, but he said they would understand that our kids come before everything. I had yet to meet any of the other pack members, but their children have for sure taken a liking to our boy. He greeted each new child with excitement and warmth.

"If you would like me to, than sure. I don't mind either way." I told him, "As long as you don't exclude me from the meetings or anything than we're good." I said as an afterthought.

"As much as I would love to hide you from anything and everything that could possibly bring you harm, I know not to try and stifle you. You have every right to be apart of these meetings, so I wouldn't even try to stop you from coming." He finished with a sweet kiss on my cheek before pulling Cadence from my lap.

"Ah, so you are smart." I teased with a little giggle.

"Well, I have my moments." He played along with me with a wink. "I think it may be seen as we are playing favorites or something if you were to greet this pack but no other, so why don't you stay with the kids?" He suggested and I nodded.

"That's fine with me. I'm enjoying watching Riah play with the other kids. Look at him. Look how happy he is." I pointed out with a proud smile on my face. 

Alpha, the Alpha and Beta from the Blue River pack are pulling up now. I heard in my mind as Chris had mind linked Zander.

"And that's my cue." He chuckled before setting Cay back on my lap where she continued to watch her brother play. "I'll be back in a little bit love." He said and left but not before kissing the top of both my head and Cadence's.