37. Full moon night of no stars

Start from the beginning

Should I turn back and see them?

...Why not?

I poked my head out the window. The brothers were there. For some reason, even Caeles was stood still, watching me. And I'm glad I looked back. I smiled, and pushed a hand out, waving. The boy with the golden eyes smiled back, raising his hand just a little.

...Goodbye for now, Risor. Goodbye for now, Cassian and Caeles.

I already know we'll meet again.

"No, please, dad," I groaned but a laugh was bubbling in my throat. "How many times are you going to sing that song?"

He made the most shocked expression, and I ended up laughing after all. "My dear, what are you saying? It's only the third time!"

"Oh, my gosh!" I shook my head. "This is going to be a long ride." I teased him and he acted like he didn't want to give me the basket of fruits in his hand, but he gave it to me anyway, because I was his favourite person. I realized his love often made me want to take advantage of him, and I had to stop myself from teasing him too much. This sort of confidence... it made the breaths of air I was breathing feel so fresh, and so new. In my past life I often had to act differently with my father; act in a way he'd prefer, do things he'd want me to. Push myself every time, just so he'd pay me a compliment, or a smile. Just a glance at me, with an expression showing that I'd done something he was proud of. Because you see... I always felt so unwanted. Felt so insecure. I often wondered why I was the way I was. Why couldn't I be better? Why couldn't I be like that child he'd compared me to, or that kid getting famous with those skills. I was always such a loser.

But this man...

"Alright, I'll give you a song coupon," He waved his finger at me as if he was reprimanding me, but when really he was rewarding me. "I'll let you make a request of this amazing singer. You don't know about all the people who wished I'd sing for them."

"Oh really," I giggled. "Alright, let me think of a song."

Oh, Nora...

I'm not even sorry. I'm not even sorry that he's your father. That these loving eyes are meant to be looking at you. That this sweet tone is meant to be heard by you. That this feeling of safety...

Isn't mine to cherish. I'm not even sorry. I don't care.

The me in my past life didn't deserve to be treated like that. Everyone deserves a cherishing and loving family. I have mine now. It's mine.

I pouted, disappointed. "I can't think of any songs..." It's because the songs I love don't even exist in this world. But the smiling man sat across me made a suggestion.

"How about this... I have a poem that your mother loved quite a lot. I memorized it so that I could bribe her when she was upset with me." I couldn't help but laugh at his mischievous expression. He grinned, excitingly. "Would you like it hear it, love?"

I nodded, matching his enthusiasm. This was so surprising, but at the same time so fitting. I didn't often get to have such conversations about art. And I was also quite curious about Nora's mother. Happy that I agreed, he breathed in and began to recite.

In my rain, oh dearest I see
Through stained and broken window shards
Lips of ruby with moonlight shine
And fortune has played with my cards

The carriage with us continued on its journey, and with this inspired mood we grew quiet, lost in our thoughts. I glanced out the window, observing the sceneries. Trees turned into houses, forests into towns and villages; we passed many lakes and bridges; occasional talk adding to the endless clopping of the horses in our ant line of carriages.