3. My death was written when you said "I'll protect you."

Chapter 3: My death was written when you said "I'll protect you."

There was a knock and a maid entered my room. Giving the slightest bow, she looked up at my eyes and said "His Grace Lord Arcturus is here to see you."

I jumped with a start, my eyes wide.

That bastard is here?!

In the past month that I had been chilling and relaxing in this mansion, this was the biggest terror. Twice this man had sent a notice before, asking to meet Lady Eleonora and twice this month I had declined, telling him how I'm just so tired and how I just need to rest. Just why is he so persistent? Isn't he supposed to be happy that Nora's finally off his back?

I sighed and pursed my lips, my hands akimbo as I thought about how I could get rid of him once and for all.

Staying away from him is key to my survival. I don't know how this world works and I'm worried that spending too much time with him could possibly wake up Nora's obsession.

"Serve him in the tea room and prepare to dress me, please," I said to the maid, making sure my tone was polite and she left to call the others, without saying a word in reply to me.

Her obvious rudeness as a maid made me sigh. I think a lot about their treatment of me. Of course it's not normal but do I really want to say something and make them hate me more? It's too much trouble.

To be honest, all this is a luxury I didn't have in my past life so it's more than enough to satisfy me. A bunch of grumpy servants is the last thing that I'd care about when I have so much else.

The hands that dressed me and did my hair were rough. I was still happy to have this help though because I had no idea how to wear these clothes by myself anyway. They were quiet, not speaking a word to me.

So cold...

I stopped myself from shuddering and looked into the mirror. Wah. Now... that's definitely the face of a villain.

My eyes were sharp and terrifyingly intense and the way my face muscles contorted when I smiled could only be called scary.

Do you really have to make it this obvious that I'm a villain?

Moreover, in this world full of people with eyes and hair colours of the rainbow, I was born with brown eyes and brown hair. How much more unfair can this be! These are common in my world too, you know!

With this ice-cold face and Nora's terrifying reputation, I wonder if I'll ever be able to find a husband in this life.

Ah, no. I reprimand myself.

I'm a 21st century woman. Even if I am in this world, I do not need a husband. That's right, I will just survive the novel and live my life relaxing peacefully.

Just have to survive this novel.

I repeated this in my mind like a mantra as I turned towards the tea-room but the maid continued to walk ahead in the corridor.

"Where are you going?" I asked her, feeling swirls of irritation rise in me again but I waved them off. She turned around and said "His Grace said he would like to walk in the gardens today," after which she bowed and stood to the side, waiting for me to walk ahead. I loosened my clenched fist. And you didn't think of letting me know? Is talking to me that much of a bother for you?

Whatever. I began to walk towards the gardens, trying to ignore my plummeting mood. But I didn't have to worry too much because as soon as I stepped outside, a wonderful breeze hit me, carrying the smells of various flowers and I took in the sight of the garden around me.