37. Full moon night of no stars

Chapter 37: On the full moon night of no stars

"Thank you for coming to bid us goodbye," My father smiled at the two brothers and acknowledged the Aldebaran staff standing a few distance behind them. I, too, did the same but noticed the difference in reception, so I rolled my eyes and pretended they were air.

"You have Aldebaran's blessing. We had to send you off properly," Cassian replied graciously with a smile and then turned towards me as Caeles said his goodbyes to my father. Along with a proper goodbye, Aldebaran had sent carriages full of gifts for us. We were like a parade or procession going off to Ilaria in a lengthy line full of Knights, servants and luggage.

"This is for you," Cassian said, his voice turning a few shades softer than when he spoke to the marquess. He handed me a box, and I raised an excited eyebrow at him. He smiled at me. "It's a box of Aldebaran's sweets. I told them to add extra apple flavoured ones."

I grinned at him. "You know me. Thanks. But wait, do you like apples too?" I asked him and he shook his head.

"Not really. I prefer strawberries, truthfully. Raspberries and blueberries as well. Most berries, I guess."

I nodded. So he liked sweet and sour fruits. "I'll try to get you some flavoured sweets next time we meet, love."

"...You take care," He said, I gave him a small smile. As much as I've always tried to avoid him, I mean for the sake of my own safety...

"I think I'm gonna miss you, Cas."

He raised an eyebrow. "Cas?"

I shrugged. "We can't be childhood friends without nicknames, can we?" I pointed towards the blonde brother. "I mean, even he's got one. Right, Goldie?"

He gave me a sulky glare. "Take care, Nora." He wasn't gonna act out with my dad present, and it made me grin. But Cassian knew this so he quickly pulled my attention back towards himself.

"Anyway, I'll visit you. You should also come see me sometimes, Nora."

Right...

You know what? I'm actually looking forward to it. My father put a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"I'll give you more time, my sweetheart," He smiled at all of us before making his way towards the carriages. I didn't have much to say; it's not like I'm never going to see the brothers again. So I just said goodbye to them so that I could join him when-

"Wait, Nora." Cassian stopped me as I reached the door. Then he motioned to his aide, who, with just a gesture, brought forth a box. Cassian opened it as I raised an eyebrow and he took out a warm and soft looking scarf. "You've forgotten to dress for the weather, as usual."

In just a few strides, he reached me and gently began to wrap the scarf around me.

Then, a memory came to me.

A coat. A scarf. Time and time again, his fingers brushing across my skin as he made sure I was warm.

"Ah," I gasped. Then I smiled, feeling a little pathetic.

"What is it?" He questioned.

"The reason I did that," I murmured, burying my chin into the scarf that he'd so gently placed around me, "Was so that you'd do this."

Cassian's lips parted, before he nodded and gave me a smile.

"Take care, Nora."

"Take care, Cassian."

I got into the carriage with my father. He smiled at me, covering my hand with his. The carriage began to move and I thought to myself. Should I look back?