"I don't... tennis is stupid," he rolls his eyes and takes a sip of his drink, avoiding eye contact. "I don't think I could like you either. You were this sweet theatre kid. Not... the person I know now"

"Exactly," I whisper and take a sip of the purple liquid darkening the paper straw.

The white and brown clock high on the wall pointed out the few minutes I still had in here. I can't be late again.

"How are things at home?" he asks.

"Mum is still mad at me. My father hasn't shown up since Tuesday. I'm pretty sure he brought me a present, but I haven't seen it yet. I bet he decided I didn't deserve it"

I don't dare to ask him the same since he doesn't have much of a family.

"Sorry about that. I should've just taken you back that night."

"So that I would run again? To somewhere I don't know?"

He rolls his eyes at me and I expect a comment about my childish attitude, but it never arrived. Instead, he just changes the subject.

"I can't believe Louis is at your school. Did that bloody idiot fail? I thought he was coming to my university."

"Reed, grey hair guy, Sweet Potato, Wick, don't be mean to him. He's your biggest supporter," I joke.

A small smile finds its way to his face, those beautiful smiles he rarely shows.

"You forgot Jay and Jem. There's no intro without those."

"Right, I'm very sorry, it won't happen again" I nod seriously and take a hand to my chest before bursting out laughing.

"I can't believe you remember that."

"Oh, I do. I also remember you throwing a football at my head if I may add"

He looks outraged. "That wasn't me! It was Beth! She was mad at me so she threw the ball away."

I knew she was behind all my misfortunes.

"Are you telling me she assaulted me even before knowing me? This is ridiculous! I thought she disliked me because I hid her make-up on the day of the showcase"

"That was you? She was yelling at me for a half-hour because of that!"

"I know, I heard the screaming"

His head turns to the clock, and he grabs his stuff. "I have to go. See you tomorrow?"

No dinner later? Well, who am I kidding? It's not like I can go out, anyway.

I spin on the stool till I'm facing him again and pout, "Can't you stay a little longer?"

"No, I'm sorry. I have to meet a friend before going to school"

He gets up and I push him back down.

"So we're cool, right? We messed up before, but we're good now? No more secrets from now on?"

"No more"

I smile and after a moment of hesitation; I did the one thing I never had the guts to.

I lean in and press my lips against his softly. A moment of pure bliss.

It isn't like I imagined it. It's not happening under the moonlight on a bridge, our shadows melting together on the stone floor. No, already lost that opportunity. It is where we met and it is perfect.

James recovers from the shock quickly, grabbing me by the waist with one hand and cupping my face with the other. He takes control and everything else fades into nothingness. He tastes like what I guess is the Spearmint Special. My new favourite drink.