Chapter 2- Friends: Old And New

~Littleroot Town~ 

I looked around at the small town, and I gotta admit, it was quite underwhelming. I've heard it was small, but the real life Littleroot Town compared to Rustboro is like comparing a Caterpie to a freakin Groudon! There were only a couple houses and Prof. Birch's lab. There wasn't even a Pokemon Center! The houses looked weathered, kind of like the ones in Pallet Town. Anyway it was getting dark, so I decided the best place to go was the lab. Who knows? I thought. Maybe I might talk to Prof. Birch about becoming a Pokemon Trainer! I made my way over to the lab. I stood in front of the lab with a look of awe on my face. I peered inside the glass window, but it didn't look like anyone was home. Suddenly the sliding doors opened to a pitch dark room, and I jumped back in surprise.

I slowly walked in, and I was just about to turn on the lights when I heard a man's voice coming from the dark.

"Hey, you! What do you think your doing at this hour!? Do your parents know you're here?" the voice said. Oh crap! I'm screwed! I thought. Whoever it was must have turned on the lights, because now I could see that it was Prof. Birch talking to me.

"Professor, I'm so sorry! I was chasing a wild Sentret because it was ruining our garden again. I chased it into the forrest, but then I got lost and found my way over here in Littleroot." I explained nervously.

"Where did you come from?" he asked.

"Oldale Town, sir" I replied, still nervous.

"Oldale Town!" he exclaimed, "My, you must be tired! Here, you can stay in the spare room here at the lab for the night," he said as he led me to the room.

"Thank you so much Professor!" I was just grateful that he didn't ask too many questions. I then remembered my earlier escapades, then realized Oh jeez, Mom's gonna kill me when she finds out! 

~Next Morning~

I woke up late the next morning. Letting off a few yawns, I stretched and rubbed my eyes. Then I looked around the room. Wait, where am I? What am I doing here? Then I remembered: I was at the Professor's lab. I got out of bed still dressed from yesterday. I went to the main room of the lab and saw the Professor reading a book and taking notes. "Oh, good morning! Have a seat, don't be shy!" he greeted.

I sat down at the metal table, and I thought I should probably introduce myself.

"I don't think I introduced myself properly, Professor. My name is Leonardo, or Leo for short. Me and my mom just moved to Hoenn about a month ago. We're originally from the Kanto region Also, I have a brother. I don't know if you've heard of him, but his name's Red." I told him.

"Red, as in THE Red? He's your BROTHER?!" the Professor exclaimed incredulously, "My my, then you must be a pretty darned good Trainer yourself then, eh?"

"Actually sir, I'm not a Trainer yet, but I was hoping to get my Pokedex and become a Trainer ever since I was a little kid!" I said.

"I see. Here come with me, I think that we can arrange that." He motioned me over to a round table with glass covering most of it. He pressed a button on a keypad and three Pokeballs rose up from under the glass. Oh my gosh! I'm getting a Pokemon! I thought excitedly. 

I had though about choosing a starter, but the starters I had though of were Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, the Kanto starters. I really hadn't expected to get a Hoenn starter. I learned about the Hoenn starters when I moved here, but now the choice was mine! Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip. All powerful Pokemon, but I knew I couldn't have them all.

"My brother and my father both used fire Pokemon, and I think I'll take a fire Pokemon as well! I'm choosing Torchic as my partner!" I grabbed Torchic's Pokeball and tossed into the air, and Torchic appeared on the floor in a flash of red light.