Chapter 5- A New Friend

~Route 117~

Oh my gosh, it's hatching! 

"Ash, get over here! It's hatching!" I yelled. I ran over to my satchel and dropped to my knees. Something small inside of it was wiggling and making noises. I carefully opened my satchel, and there, laying in a pile of broken shells, was a baby Pokemon. I had some grey plating on its head and back, and it had blue eyes that looked at me through the metal plate on its head. I tried to lift him up, but that little Pokemon was heavy! My Pokedex identified it as an Aron. It weighed over 130 lbs!

"A, Aron!" my new Pokemon squealed. He climbed out of my satchel and began to run around, trying to stretch his legs after a long time in the egg. At the sound of the baby Pokemon, Torchic came out of his Pokeball, and walked over to Aron. He gave the baby Pokemon a confused look, then poked him between the eyes. Aron scurried back, and hid underneath my satchel, shaking like a leaf. 

"Torchic! Be nice!" I scolded. Torchic's head dropped, and went over to Aron, probably to apologize. Or whatever it is Pokemon do to console each other. I started thinking to myself, and I wondered: why would Aron hatch just after a week or so?

"Hey, Brock, why did the egg hatch so soon? I only got it about four or five days ago." I asked. Brock got a closer look at Aron.

"Well, Red, it looks like Aron has been in the egg for a pretty long time before your mom gave it to you. Maybe now that you've been walking around with it and it had Torchic to give it some warmth, the hatching process sped up. That, and the fact that I'm a master breeder." Brock explained with a grin.

"Yup. That's the reason." Ash muttered under his breath. I turned to see Aron and Torchic running around the field chasing each other. I was ready to let out Poochyena, but then a new thought hit me. Seeing as I hadn't actually caught Aron yet, I took a Pokeball from my bag, walked over to the jubilant pair of Pokemon, and tapped Aron on the head with it. The ball shook a few times, then there was a click and my new baby Pokemon was officially mine! I let him out right away after seeing the pitiful look on Torchic's face after I took away his new friend. 

I didn't want to make Aron battle right away, but he showed me some of the moves that he knew. He showed me Mud Slap, Headbutt, and Metal Claw. I was surprised that Aron knew all those moves as a baby, but Brock explained that sometimes the adult Pokemon can pass some moves down to a baby Pokemon. 

We all let our Pokemon out to play. Pikachu was dubbed "it" by the other Pokemon, and thus a game of tag was started, but they soon found out that Pikachu's speed was too much for them, especially Aron. The poor baby was still figuring out how to walk right! After an hour or so, I suggested that me and Brock should finish our battle, and he agreed.

"Alright Poochyena, back on the field!" I told my partner.

"You too Graveler!" Brock shouted from the other side of the field. The two Pokemon stared each other down for a few seconds, then the battle began for real.

"Graveler, Rock Throw!" Brock commanded. Graveler picked up a rock and hurled it at Poochyena.

"Okay, dodge it!" I said just in time. After Poochyena side-stepped and dodged the rock, I said "Tackle, let's go!". 

"You too, Graveler!" Brock said, clearly frusturated after Rock Throw's failure. The two Pokemon met in midair, and both were thrown back in the dirt. 

"Let's go again! Bite!" I called. Poochyena grabbed hold of Graveler and swung him around. Graveler landed in he dirt a few yards away. Boy, Poochyena's Bite had gotten stronger! I was shocked that he could even lift Graveler!

"Graveler, Magnitude" Brock told Graveler. He began to make the ground shake, and Poochyena couldn't keep solid footing. My poor buddy was tossed around like a ragdoll. After a few seconds, the shaking stopped. Just when Poochyena was starting to get up, a large boulder slammed into him. Poochyena flew backwards, and skidded for about 30 feet before he came to a stop. By the look on his face, I could easily tell that he was knocked out.