Chapter 7- Return To Verdanturf

~Just outside of Rusturf Tunnel~

        Brock, Ash, and I casually strolled through Route 116, happily chatting about the battle I just had. We had just finished celebrating my victory over Roxanne. This old man, who was apparently watching my gym battle, invited us over for dinner. At first I thought it was weird, but who was I to deny free food? We had a nice meal, and at the end the old man brought out a celebratory cake, which we all enjoyed. As for our Pokemon, they had a nice meal of their own up on the roof of the apartment building we were at. After that, we went up to Route 116 and decided to visit the Rusturf Tunnel for real. 

"Boy, it's weird going through this route without dealing with Team Magma, eh Ash?" I said, reminiscing about our encounter with the lava-like team of villains. 

"Yeah, I'll say," Ash replied with a chuckle. 

"While we're here, why don't we go visit Verdanturf? I think we should check out what happened there," Brock suggested. I hesitated for a moment, but continued walking.

"I agree... somewhat. I think we may be able to figure out where he went after I blacked out," I said. 

"I also have to make sure Nurse Joy is okay. She's got a lot of work, helping out the people in Verdanturf and handling our relationship at the same time." Brock added. 

"What relationship?" Ash asked with a smirk. Brock turned towards Ash with his fist raised, and I had to step in between them. I think I may have seen Brock's eyes open slightly. 

"Guys, guys, settle down. It's not exactly news that Brock isn't dating Nurse Joy!" I said, raising my voice. Then I thought about what I said. Oh boy, not the right thing to say! I thought. 

"Oh, is that so? YOU"RE GONNA GET IT NOW!" Brock yelled, chasing after us. Me and Ash, both laughing our faces off, ran to the tunnel, hoping to lose him in a mock game of "tag and mortally wound Ash and Leo even though Brock knows it's true". Ash and I went into the tunnel, trying to lose Brock. We only got about 20 feet down the main path of the tunnel when we saw what was up ahead. Me and Ash stopped quickly and ducked behind a boulder. We peeked around the boulder to confirm our fears. Up ahead were a couple Team Magma grunts, along with this other dude dressed in a blue and black pirate costume They were standing in plain view and having what seemed like a heated discussion. 

"Dude, I thought that we killed off their leader! What are they doing here?" I whispered angrily to Ash.

"You're guess is as good as mine, Leo. Maybe they're still clearing off. From what I remember of my first Hoenn journey, they had another base somewhere out east." Ash said quietly. We heard someone running into the tunnel. That someone was Brock, and he was still mad.

"I'M GONNA....!" He yelled, causing an echo through the tunnel. Ash leaped up and quickly muted Brock before he could make any more noise. Ash hid Brock behind the boulder. 

"Dude, Team Magma is still here! And there's a Team Aqua goon here too!" Ash explained in a whisper. 

"Team Magma? But I thought we killed Maxie," Brock said.

"Doesn't matter, they're still here. We gotta figure out a way around them." That gave me the idea that I needed.

"I got a plan! Kay, listen up..."

~Back at Route 116~

"I freaking dealt with the last disguise, but this is too far Leo!" Ash yelled at me. I'll be honest, he looked hilarious. We found a clown costume in Rustboro and decided to make Ash be the distraction. Brock was standing by a tree and was mocking Ash. Me and Brock didn't need disguises because Brock's Onix was gonna dig us a tunnel while Ash distracted the goons.