Chapter 10- Battling...for food and a badge

~Mauville Food Court~

I was battling this boy for my spot at a table. Yes, battling. I was just about ready to leave the restaurant out of sheer frustration. I mean, the day had already gone bad enough, seeing as Combusken had botched the last attempt at making food. Brock and Ash sat at their spots, watching us battle with expressions that told me they were happy to not have to battle just to sit down.

"Treecko, use Razor Leaf!"

"Flamethrower!" The swirl of leaves got burned to ashes by Combusken's attack.

"Flamethrower again!" Treecko was thrown back viciously and knocked over some chairs in the process. Yet, Treecko got up and continued to fight. I'll give him this: that Treecko sure is tough.

"Double Kick!" Treecko had no time to react, and the double strike from Combusken had him out cold on a nearby table

"Humph! You got lucky!" the boy said, still frustrated from the loss. He recalled his Treecko left the shop.

"Whatever," I said, turning away. Me and Combusken sat back down, gave out some high-five's, and just as we did, a waiter came out carrying a dish. He made his way over to our table.

"Village Sub Combo?" he asked us. I raised my hand, my mouth already salivating. Boy, that looks great!

"Right here." The waiter set the plate down and retreated to the kitchens.

"Dig in, buddy!" We ate with ferocity, savoring every bit of our hard-earned meal. The sub was absolutely worth the battle (not that it was much trouble). The flavors all fit together nicely, as they should. The meat was probably the best part of it. Juicy tender, and complimented with various cheeses and veggies, it was...perfect. Ash and Brock just kinda sat there, looking at us awkwardly. I could tell they were getting impatient while waiting for their food.

"I just hope we don't have to battle anyone for our food," Brock commented. Ash's stomach gave an audible growl in agreement.

Just then, I almost fell over laughing. Two young girls (probably a few years younger than my age of 14) came over to us and confronted Ash and Brock. They challenged my two friends to a double battle, the winner recieving a meal and a seat at the table. I let my other Pokemon eat, then they all got berries. As they ate, Ash and Brock began a very efficient takedown of the twins. One of the girls (she said her name was Lucy) and the other (Lacey) used a Growlithe and a Psyduck, respectively.

The battle began, and right away the girls knew they had no chance whatsoever. Pikachu landed a nice-looking Thunderbolt on Psyduck, and Brock's Graveler knocked out Growlithe in one hit, using a well aimed Rock Throw. Pikachu hit Psyduck with a quick Electroball, and the battle was over. The girls left the restaurant in a huff, clearly upset at being beat so bad.

Ash and Brock recalled their Pokemon. As if on cue, another waiter came out from the kitchens and came to our table.

"The Magnemite Croquette?"

"Here," Ash said, eagerly staring down the food. The waiter set down the plate and hurried back to the kitchens. Ash split the croquette in two, and gave one half to Brock. They devoured their meal as quickly as Combusken and I took down the Sub Combo. The duo got done eating, and Ash's stomach gave a rumble of approval.

"Boy, I'm stuffed," I said, starting to feel very tired.

"Hear hear. I'm ready to call it a night. How about you guys?" Ash said. Me and Brock nodded lazily in approval.

~The next morning~

I woke up late the next morning. I'd slept pretty well, but Ash and Brock didn't sleep quite as long as I did. A sharp poke from Makuhita roused me, and the look on her face told me something wasn't right. I got dressed quickly and went out to the waiting room where I found Ash and Brock huddled around the phone.