Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"Na'sir?". I begin to say as tears started falling from my eyes. "He got shot?". My brain wasn't processing everything that was happening, I felt lost.

"If it wasn't for you using your body as a human shield, he wouldn't be here right now, you were shot four times, once in the stomach, shoulder , leg and side". The doctor continues to inform me.

Tears started falling more and more. "My baby". I cry. "I can't believe this".

"Unfortunately because of the bullet that hit your lower abdomen, we weren't able to save your unborn child, the pregnancy was really early and you lost a lot of blood". Doctor Thomas explains further. "We performed a C-section so be careful not to move too much until the physical therapist comes to assist you, you may still feel numb below the waist".

Damien tries to comfort me but I use all the strength I have to push him away from me. "Baby I'm so sorry, I told you I was going to protect you guys and I failed again".

"Get away from me!". I yell at him with tears streaming down my face. "Get the fuck away from us and don't come back!". I turn my face away from him as I hear him walk out of the hospital room.

{•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••}

1 month later

           I play in Na'sir's soft curls while he remains in a coma. Ever since I've had the strength to walk, I come here to see him everyday, sometimes spending the night. I kiss his forehead.

          The hospital door opens. Damien walks in with a teddy bear and some flowers. He puts down the bag of Chic-Fil A he brought on the table in the corner.

"I got you something to eat". He tells me kissing my cheek.

"Thank you". I reply dryly.

              We're trying to make this relationship work for the sake of our son. I love Damien, but I can't believe we have to be watching our son suffer like this, it hurts because I can't do anything but sit here and watch him go through this, it was my job to protect him as much as it was his dads job to protect us.

"How's he doing?". He asks taking a seat next to me.

"He flatlined twice this morning". The words leaving my mouth brought tears to my eyes, and before I knew it I was having a breakdown.

Damien holds me into his arms. "There was nothing I could do Damien, I couldn't help him". I cry harder. "We already lost one baby, I can't afford to lose my son".

"I know baby, we're not going to lose him, I promise you we're not". He promises me.

I push him off me. "I'm tired of your sorry ass promises, keep them to yourself!". I get up and grab my crutches. "I'm going to take some fresh air".

"Summer listen to me". He begins to cry as he held my waist. "I'm hurting too, don't think for a minute I'm not, I blame myself for this". He sobs.

"I'm sorry, he's your son too and I should see that you're hurting as well". I pull him into a hug. "We need some space, I need some space".

He looks at me deeply. "Please Summer, I don't want us to not be together anymore".

"This is too much for me! This is the reason I didn't want to fall in love with you in the first place, your lifestyle is dangerous and I knew that".

"I quit the game for you! So I can be with you and my family!". He snaps causing me to jump. When he saw my reaction to his tone, he tries to reach out to me but I back away.