21. Déjà vu

I remember when it happened to me.

The phone call you never expected at a time way too soon.

You're always doing something plain before the news severs your soul.

I was out grabbing a milkshake at my local diner when I got mine. I had no idea what to say. What to think.

When I was told my mother had died I replied "okay".

'Grandpa' gave me some grand speech to put vengeance as the driver of my emotions. Little did he know I had none left for him. I didn't interpret it as my vengeance, it was him using me as a tool. A soldier. A weapon. A bomb waiting to go off whenever Gerard lit the fuse.

Allison wasn't as lucky as I.

She could feel everything.

So as Chris and I stood in the hospital together waiting for Allison to arrive, he was chalk. A hard exterior, whiter than usual. Just in reality, he could break any minute.

My cousin walked into the hospital already weeping.

"No" she started. Shaking her head, as if she was hoping for Chris' expression to not be so somber and sorrowful.

"No. No dad no dad. If this is some kind of sick training session you better tell me, you better tell me." Her voice escalating as reality tore her hope away from her weak hands, barely holding it in the first place.

"No sorry. I'm sorry" her dad said starting to tear up himself.

Allison clung to her father as if she couldn't afford to let him go as she cried. As if she let go she'd lose him to.

I was truly out of place in this situation only being here for Chris as support. Due to Allison arriving, I left the two briefly putting my hand on Chris' shoulder to say a goodbye.

As I walked out, I turned towards the two. Chris weakly smiled towards me, a small gesture of thanks.

————————————————————————

I wasn't at all surprised to hear Allison destroying her room. In fact, I was happy she chose this method. I'd rather her destroy the room than hurt herself, this emotion needed to come out at some point.

I went and sat on her bed. I didn't say anything, I didn't have to. Allison didn't speak to me, she instead threw her lamp on the floor. Her destructive streak continued for longer then I imagined, followed by shouting and yelling.

Once that was out of her system, a bow and arrow appeared on the table. Followed by a cross bow. Followed by a set of the best carbon steel battle axes I've e seen.

She moved the battle axes towards me. "It's your early birthday present" she said in a matter of fact manner.

"What's the catch?" I could tell there was more.

"You use these to help me avenge my mother"

I studied her face, she wasn't herself. My cousin was different. Who wouldn't be if your mother was killed. But it was more then that, it was provoked.

"Deal" I gripped the axes and we got changed for combat.

Whilst getting changed, Allison received a text message asking for the beastiary from Scott. Something that would never happen. Scott was foolish but he wasn't this foolish, he wanted it brought to the sherif station.

This was most definitely not Scott, however this sounds like Kanima business. And where the Kanima is Derek and his pack are likely to follow. So Allison was all ears.

Once we all agreed in the situation allison asked her 'grandpa', father and I "what do we do now?"

"Maybe you should tell us that authority falls to her now" Gerard spoke boldly.

Both Chris and myself couldn't believe what just had come out of his mouth. Female hunters train for years to get to dictate plans. Allison hasn't done half a year of strategic training.

"Not at her age!" Chris roared at his father.

Gerard was calm and smug, a dangerous combination. "Shes nearly 18. She knows there's a difference between revenge and retribution. Don't you Allison?"

It was abundantly clear to me now what Gerard is doing. I didn't have to think about it, or even consider the possibility. It's exactly what happened to me. He's attempting to manipulate her. Fire her full of emotion.

"Make the decision from a position of vantage point over emotion and we will follow your lead" Gerard finished.
"I want Derek dead" Allison ordered without hesitation, gaining an approving grin from Gerard.

"What about Scott?" I question my cousin. I was interested in her answer.

"Scott's not the one who forced my mother to kill herself" emotion lashed off of her tongue as she spoke. It took me back. She couldn't control her desire, her want for Derek's death.

"He's not exactly an innocent bystander either. You can't pick and choose" Chris countered, still seeming baffled that his daughter is actually giving orders.

My cousin slightly tilted her head and mimicked Gerard's dark smile. "But I can prioritise. And the priority right now is Derek"

"What about the others?" Chris asked his daughter. "Derek's pack".

"If they try and protect him, then we kill them. All of them". This was the moment I knew I had lost Allison, I think Chris was starting to think the same.