32. Relative Relations

I enjoyed seeing my uncle, it's just that I'm not always ready for it all. Being an Argent has been such a specific thing. Holding the commitment of our name, following orders, enduring 'family bonding' sessions which would make most people's blood curdle.

Chris looked like a child in a supermarket, can't find their mother anywhere. That fear, despair. It's not the Uncle I knew, the Chris who put me through hell. He wasn't strong, nor firm. He was lost and scared.

No purpose, no direction. His main focus was gone. All he had left was to raise Allison. Imagine losing so much in so little time. Your sister, your wife, your father. Well I can, I had gone through it. Just Chris felt it all, he wasn't tortured to have his emotions restrained.

No he's broken, sad and lonely.

Chris didn't even hunt werewolves anymore. All that he had and held dear was almost gone.

You wouldn't tell from his facade, in typical Argent fashion the walls were up.

"To what do I owe the pleasure Atticus?"

I was leaning against the wall whilst he scrambled to make coffee, "you told me not to be a stranger, here I am. How're you doing with all the changes?"

"Life goes on Atticus," Chris said, "we have to move, overcome and adapt to our circumstances."

"Now answer my question."

Uncle Chris faltered at my directness. It put his wall down long enough to see that he was okay, despite all the pain. He chuckled at my tactics, he should know them by now anyhow.

"You're allowed to be a child Atticus. Go shopping, making friends and make lasting memories. You don't have to be superman anymore."

Whilst I appreciated the sentiment Chris was probably the last person that I wanted to hear that from. My mother or Gerard would have made me consider it, Chris unfortunately didn't hold as much influence over my my life.

After idol chatter with Chris it was apparent, he wasn't well.

I had to leave the apartment and go to the hospital. I still had my work commitment and the experience was invaluable.

As I arrived, Melissa greeted me. Her warm maternal presence comforted me, she was the closest thing I now had to a mother. I could just feel myself at ease.

The evening was the usual, busy. My job officially was to just move people and assisting with simple bedside tasks. Did I stick to it? Of course not. I spend the majority of the night alleviating people's injuries. I couldn't reduce pain like a werewolf but I can help people get well quicker.

As the night went on, my limbs started to weaken. My eyelids were fighting against me and my body wanted to rest. I would have ignored it if Melissa hadn't quizzed me on it.

Being a Druid was rewarding, just so costly. I could change lives and save them. Yet, who knows what risk I am putting myself at. I didn't want to know. All I knew, is that I needed to right the wrongs I had caused.

After some difficult hours at the hospital, I headed back in my truck to my apartment. I was in bed not wanting to move a limb. The drumming of rain against the window was strangely melodic.

I flinched when I heard the door just open, not expecting anyone. A soaking wet Issac Lahey with blue puppy eyes waiting for approval.

"Change your clothes if you wanna cuddle," I told the boy, not wanting to soak my bed.

He complied and changed into a pair of my shorts with a white t-shirt I had lying around. His head placed on my chest and he wrapped his body around me.

I didn't mind his wet hair on my bare chest, I simply ran my fingers though like I usually did. It always seemed to comfort him. I laid there waiting for him to talk, Issac always did when he was ready.

"Derek kicked me out," the beta mumbled out, "I had not where else to go."

I hushed him immediately, feeling that he was getting worked up. All I wanted was him to talk to me in his own time.

"So, I'm homeless now. No money, no family. Nothing."

I couldn't imagine his feeling. My family may be dysfunctional to put it kindly, but they were always there. Issac had no one. No money left to him.

"You have me Issac. I'm not your family, I can't offer you a lot, but you're always welcome here. You don't have to be ashamed or scared. I'm here for you."

I pulled me tighter as he wept, I knew this was his thank you. I continued stroking his hair and listening to the percussive rain.

We laid there peacefully until Issac gets a phone call.