6. Obligations

(———)

Trigger warning for mentions of self-harm. Read past the dashes for those who may find this disturbing.

(———)

Some would say I'm lucky for the fact I didn't have to go to school the next day. Considering the plans for the day. I'd have to disagree.

After hearing about a fellow hunter being found dead. Uncle Chris can no longer stake out the Hale House, now it's my burden.

"Atticus," my auntie Victoria called out for me.

I entered into the kitchen where I stood awaiting further instruction. As my mom used to say, ears open mouth shut.

"Since Kate is no longer here. It is my job to teach you emotional control. Whilst I have no doubt that you have this down by your empty facade. I'm going to test it. Give me your hand and don't change your facial expression."

With that I put my hand out for her to slice a knife down it. It stung as carnelian red cascaded down my limb.

A little later, still sitting stone faced in the medical room, Mrs McCall stitched up my hand. I rather enjoyed her presence. Protective, caring and sweet despite the person she's with. Shame I've been forced to waste her time.

The encounter was awkward. I didn't speak unless spoken to, my wound being from making myself lunch. Just Victoria prying about Scott. I'm curious, I think she knows.

————————————————————————

Scouting out the Hale House was dull. I was just sitting there. Sharpening my battle axe and texting people at school: Allison (about Victoria this morning), Danny (group project, strangely close now) and Stiles of all people (prying into why I wasn't at school).

Funnily enough, it was Stiles keeping me in the loop about Erica and not Allison. Does Allison not trust me? I wasn't overly surprised that the alpha would play on her vulnerability. Disgusting.

Interrupting my thoughts I heard someone calling out for Derek. I sat back still sharpening my battle axe, leave the people with the guns to handle it.

Then I saw who it was.

Jackson.

"Backdown," I ordered. Everyone lowered their guns. I grabbed Jackson by his shirt and dragged his trembling body outside. I wasn't going to kick his ass as hard this time.

"It's not what it looks like," Jackson stated.

Straightening out my camouflage jacket I reply, "looks like you're getting involved in dangerous business Jackson. You're lost, lonely and frustrated. If you think Derek can fix any of that, you're mistaken."

"I don't want that!" Jackson snapped. "I want power, doesn't everyone?"

I looked gave Jackson a knowing look. We both knew I was right.

Jackson pointed towards the house "what was meant to happen back there?"

I actually chuckled. Found it rather amusing actually. "Theres a team of men with weapons in a killers house. What do you think we were going to do to you?"

"Well" Jackson took a gulp. "Thank you for watching out for me." Jackson actually just let down his wall. He showed he cared.

Guess we aren't that different after all. Every emotion he felt I'd been there. Perfectionism, materialism and emotional neglect. I had a new understanding of Jackson Whittemore.

After sending him on his way, I went back to messaging everyone. Mainly Stiles, I wanted to keep under wraps the Erica and now Boyd situation.

————————————————————————

After receiving messages from Stiles asking if I could come tow his jeep due to Erica's interference, I felt bad and accepted. Due to everyone else being seemingly busy with everything, this was my way of repaying him for the information.

After returning home to grab the necessary equipment from my uncles garage, I took my SUV truck and brought Stiles to some beat up garage. The place made me feel dirty, made my skin crawl.

I leant up against my car, the cleanest thing near the garage, waiting for Stiles to finish shouting at the man about what work he needed done before he called me over to complain about that.

"Fifteen hundred? Does this guy not know I'm a student?" Stiles questioned rhetorically after opening the door to the waiting room covering his hand in some slimy substance which made my whole body shiver in disgust.

Noticing this, Stiles wiped the slime into my stitches I'd received earlier in the day. To which I sent him a death glare with my piercing blue eyes. Which caused Stiles to look nervously at me.

What followed felt like a second in retrospect but felt like years in real time. A demonic lizard slithered down the wall.

The monster was roughly the size of a normal human, swarmed with scales. The being was impressive, it looked lethal.

Before I had time to pull out my battle axe, I had lost the feeling in my arms. Stiles feeling it too having dropped his phone. Soon we drop as watch the mechanic being crushed to death.