eighty nine ⊹ keeping a promise

Start from the beginning

"Good luck, guys" I smiled. Michonne walked over and pulled me into her embrace. "Come back safe, okay?" I spoke, pulling away.

"I'll be fine- been through worse, right?" Michonne grinned.

Carol, Rick, Michonne, Glenn, Maggie, Rosita, and Abraham all left to go to school. I looked through the window as Father Gabriel locked the doors. We all returned to the backroom, trying to get out of sight.

I sat back on the couch as everyone else stood silent. The plan was to lure them in, so we wanted to make no noise. Who knows, they're watching right now, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

 Who knows, they're watching right now, waiting for the perfect moment to strike

↫❤⤧❤↬

The silence was disturbed by a rough sound and then a loud door opening. I gulped in response. Rick was right, which means this plan could work. I heard the footsteps draw nearer as Father Gabriel prayed; meanwhile, Carl and Shane aimed their handguns at the door.

"Well, you know we're here...and we know you're here. And we're armed... there's no point in hiding anymore" Gareth began. I looked over at Shane as he looked back at me with concern before turning towards the door again.

"We've been watching you; we know who's here... Rick and the rest walked out with a lot of your guns. Listen, we need to find out where you all are... but- this isn't a big place. So let's just stop this now before things get more painful than they need to be" Gareth warned.

"Look, you're behind one of these two doors, and we have more than enough firepower to take down both. I can't imagine that's what you all want. What about the priest? Father, you help us wrap this up. We'll let you walk away from this. Just open the door and go; you can take the baby with you" Gareth attempted to persuade Gabriel.

Then Judith began crying, which got everyone to look at Carl, trying to keep her quiet. "I don't know, maybe we'll keep the kid; I'm starting to like this girl" He said as guns were cocked on both sides of the door.

Rick and they should have been back by now. What the hell is taking them so long? "It's your last chance right now to tell us you're coming out" Gareth announced. Then I heard two bodies fall, and a couple of silenced shots go off. They made it back, thank goodness.

"Rick, we'll fire right into that office. So you lower your gun--" Before Gareth could finish his sentence, another gunshot went off, and we heard him yell. I opened the door and knocked one of the guys onto the ground.

"Put your guns on the floor and kneel" Rick directed.

"Do what he says" Gareth told his comrades. "Martin, we don't have another option" he told his friend. "Yeah, there is." Martin glared over at me.

"Want to bet?" Abraham growled, getting in front of me. Martin sighed as he kneeled, and Rick got in front of Gareth.

"No point in begging, right?" Gareth inquired.

"No," Rick stated.

"Still, you could have killed us when you came in... there had to be a reason" Gareth assumed.

"We didn't want to waste the bullets" Glenn informed him.

"We used to help people, we saved people. Things changed. They came in, and after that, you've been out there, but I can see it. You don't know what it's like to be hungry. You don't have to do this. We can walk away, and we will never cross paths again... I promise you" Gareth explained.

"But you'll cross someone's path... you'd do this to anyone, right?" Glenn quizzed.

"Besides... I already made you a promise." Rick got his attention before he swung and slashed him in the head.

At the same time, Glenn, Abraham, and Michonne murdered the rest of his men. Except they died slowly and painfully.

I took a quick Glance at Glenn and finally noticed that innocence I grew up with over the years. That same pizza guy who wouldn't harm a soul had been single-handedly turned into a killing machine. And no fault of his own; it's what this world turns people into.

Glenn Rhee died after Dale died on the farm. Ever since then, he's been on a downward spiral. Now, it's finally come to fruition. "It could have been us" Glenn shrugged.

"This is the lord's house.." Gabriel gulped.

"No, it's just four walls and a roof" Maggie said coldly.