Chapter 12:

Rafe played with a pen as he sat reading over stock reports. His brows furrowed together in concentration. Shaking his head he sighed and leaned back in his chair. He hated days like this. Days where he questioned his own ability. This was the third month in a row that inventory and income didn't match. He raked his hands through his hair and stared down at the numbers, "Fuck.."
"Is everything okay?" Gaia asked as she peeked her head in the door.
"Not really. Someone is dipping into inventory." He muttered as he wrote what was missing.
Furrowing her brows she walked into the office and approached the desk, "Who has access to the warehouse?"
Rafe looked up at her, "Sal, Toni, and two of my guards have the keys and can go in without anyone else accompanying them."
Gaia scrunched up her nose, "Have you ever noticed how shifty Toni is? Why do you trust him?"
"Toni has been my friend since we were little." he said, a frown creasing his handsome face.
"Just was asking. " Gaia mumbled as she shrugged.
Rafe looked down at his desk, "I know. Toni dips into some stuff. I know he skims off my club income once a year. I don't say anything because he uses it to take care of his grandma. I wish he'd just ask for extra pay but I put it down to he doesn't want to make me feel like I'm paying him too little."
Gaia looked down, "I see. So you don't think he'd do this even though he skims and you know it?"
"I hope he wouldn't. His wife Helena would skin him if she knew. She's my cousin." Rafe answered as he held his head in his hands. Gaia walked around the desk and began to rub his shoulders. Sighing Rafe leaned back and relished her touch as the tension left his shoulders. 

****
Sal stood before Rafe, his face splattered with blood, "I found out where Nicola was going next sir. The gentleman at the wharf was able to be persuaded."
"I see. Well where was he headed?" Rafe questioned as he handed his friend a handkerchief.
Sal began wiping off his face, "Interestingly enough he is headed here."
Rafe stood abruptly, his chair flying backwards and clattering to the floor, "Here? So he plans to take matters into his own hands then."
Sal shrugged, "I'm guessing so. But boss it's a pretty brash move. If he comes here to get her we have Nicola himself with no problems. His men are few in numbers and weak minded."
"Unless he's expanded his following." Rafe mused.
Sal shrugged, "Doubtful. Besides you own the largest Mafia in all of Europe. You easily outnumber him."
Rafe nodded as he subconsciously picked up his throwing knife and began to twirl it around in his hand mindlessly.

****
Gaia stood under the warm stream of water, her body relaxing from the stress of the day. Washing away all the dirt from helping the maids clean she sighed in happiness. Her mind wandered to Rafe, she wondered if he wanted her like she desired him. She could almost feel his delicious body against hers but it was fleeting and all too soon she was wrapped in her towel.
Stepping into the bedroom after her shower she stopped short upon seeing Rafe laying on the bed, his eyes were closed as he relaxed. His bare chest was exposed to her as his button up shirt laid open around him. His jeans clung to him, leaving little to the imagination. She was interrupted by his deep, sexy voice, "Like what you see mia rosa?"
She blushed and looked down, "Maybe I do papa."
His deep growl made her shiver in pleasure as he stood up and grabbed her by the waist, "I could take you right now. This little towel isn't much protection mia piccola rosa."
"Do as you wish, I'm yours." She purred softly as his lips caressed her neck.
He gathered her shivering body against his and laid her upon the bed. His fingers brushed her skin as he took in the beauty before him. Leaning down he captures her soft lips in a gentle kiss. Her hands found their way to his head and tangled themselves in his hair. He grunted softly in pleasure. She moaned as he rubbed up against her body. Her back arched in response to his touch as he ran a finger down her chest. He placed light kisses down her bare chest before he pulled away, his eyes dark with lust, "I don't want to do this before you are ready. I don't want you to feel you have to because of who I am."
"I don't feel I have to Raffaele. But maybe we aren't quite ready." She murmured as she inched away.
Rafe nodded slowly and crawled under the blankets on his side as Gaia disappeared to get dressed.

As they lay in bed several hours later Gaia could not sleep. Rafe slept peacefully beside her, his chest rising and falling with each breath. She sighed softly and scooted out of bed. Her feet carried her from the room and down the hall into the library. As she gazed about the large room she spied the section she was looking for and hurried over, her fingers skimmed the spines of the books as she searched out the one she wanted. Finally she grabbed the spines of an old book and moved it from the shelf. She opened it carefully and settled herself on the duvet.
Hours ticked by as she continued to read the classic that lay upon her lap until the still of the night was shattered by the large picture window in the room shattering. She screamed and ducked behind the duvet as a hail storm of bullets rained down upon the library's interior. Suddenly Rafe was holding her against his chest, as he returned fire, "Are you okay Gaia?"
She nodded solemnly, "I'm okay. How did they know I was in there?"
Rafe emptied his clip and rapidly inserted another as they made their way out of the chaos. He glanced down at her, "We have a high ranking rat."