Chapter 18:

Rafe and Gaia had been home for only a few hours when word of Nicola being spotted a few hours north was received. Slamming his fist down on his desk Rafe glared at Antonio and Sal, "That bastard had better be found soon. I've had enough of his game."
Sal nodded solemnly, "Yes boss. I'm sorry boss."
"Sal, I want her safe. Use any means necessary to find him." Rafe growled.
"If you want him found use bait." a gentle feminine voice quipped from the door.
Rafe looked at the girl with a soft expression, "Baby girl you are not bait. Not happening ."
Sal shuffled nervously beside Rafe, "She's right though boss. It's the quickest way to find him."
Toni cleared his throat, "I agree boss. It would make things move faster."
"She is not bait. I will not allow her to be put in that psycho's path." Rafe snapped as he glared at the two men.
"But boss you know she can handle herself really well." Sal pressed.
Rafe glared at him for a moment before looking to Gaia, "I know she can. But I will not allow her to walk into something so deadly. She's my queen."

****
Gaia shivered as she stepped out onto the balcony and stared up at the night sky. Her mind was consumed with thoughts of her father. She wondered if he was still alive or if Nicola had killed him. Her thoughts moved to Rafe and his vehment denial of any idea involving her as bait. She understood but she knew that Nicola would foolishly come to any place she was. She leaned on the metal railing and sighed as she stared into the night. Perhaps she should act wiithout his consent. Her mind whirled with ideas but no matter what she thought of doing she would be filled with guilt.
"Gaia?" A deep voice rumbled behind her.
She turned and looked up into Rafe's eyes, "Yes Rafe? Need something?"
"I'm sorry." He sighed, his eyes dropping to the ground.
She stared at him in confusion, "For what? You've done nothing wrong."
He chuckled bitterly, "Haven't I? In what universe should my queen even have to consider being bait for a mad man? What have I done right for you? I've only ripped away your life as you knew it all for my own selfish pleasure. I never should have sent Fernando after Nicola. The man is clinically insane."
It was then Gaia caught the faint stench of Alcohol around Rafe, her eyes widened, "Raffeale have you been drinking?"
"And if I have? What's wrong with that?" He muttered.
She shook her head gently, "Nothing, I just cannot remember ever seeing you drink before."
He glared at the floor, his expression grim, "I've never had to question my decisions like I do right now. I question everything."
Gaia smiled sadly at him, "Rafe, it's okay not to have an answer for everything. It's okay to be unsure. We will figure it out together."
His eyes met hers and he sighed gently, "What did I do to deserve you? I've been cold and heartless most of my life."
"You aren't that heartless. I'm sure you've done more good than you think." She assured him.
He laughed dryly, "When dad told me about you I didn't care what happened to you. I didn't care what happened to anyone but Nicola. I just wanted him dead. I sent your father in to do my dirty work with no second thoughts. Is that not cold?"
Gaia walked slowly into their bedroom and sat cross legged upon the bed, "You were sending the one person you trusted to do the job. I see nothing cold in that sense."
"But I was wrong to not worry about you, his family." He muttered as he crawled into the bed.
Gaia smiled gently and shook her head, "I'm an adult. I can't blame you."
They sat together in silence, Gaia watched Rafe as his eyes closed and breathing calmed, a gentle smile crossed her face as she pulled a blanket over him and kissed his forehead before she cuddled up beside him and drifted off to sleep.

****
Rafe woke with a start, his mouth was dry from his drinking the night before. Gaia slept soundly beside him still. The first rays of sun were filtering through the curtains as his phone buzzed beside him again reminding him of why his slumber was disturbed. Grabbing it he stared at the messages on the screen.

Sal:
Toni is missing.
6:45 AM

Sal:
You are needed at the docks.
6:55 AM

Sal:
Fernando has been found.
7:10 AM.

Slipping from bed Rafe hurried to find clothes and shoes. He needed to go before Gaia woke and begged to go with him. He didn't know what he was walking into but he doubted it was anything he wanted Gaia to be there for. He threw on his clothes and grabbed his keys, making sure to leave a note on the counter, he hurried to his SUV and sped away from the house. He hoped that the pit growing in his stomach wasn't an omen of what was to come.