Chapter 3:

It took several hours to arrive at Raffaele's mansion and by the time they did Gaia was sleeping peacefully in the back seat. Antonio was quick to disappear from the car and carry the luggage inside leaving Raffaele to figure out the sleeping girl situation. He looked down at the sleeping figure and sighed, his body relaxed as he scooped her up in his arms and held her tiny frame against his chest. She stirred only slightly before burrying her head against his chest and returning to her peaceful slumber. Raffaele inhaled her intoxicating aroma deeply. She smelled of coconuts and roses. He made a mental note to order her the finest body soap collection in that scent that money could buy. As he walked into the foyer Marco hurried out of the living room and stopped upon seeing the sleeping girl in his son's arms. With a small smile he lead the way to the guest room she would be occupying and opened the door. Raffaele was quick to lay her in her bed and cover her up but he lingered for a short while in the door watching her sleep before closing the large door and heading downstairs to his father. Marco spoke first, his eyes twinkle as he took in his son's relaxed demeanor, "Don't tell me my Raffaele has fallen under the charm of a woman so quickly?"
He glared at his father, "No. She's vulnerable right now. Just a girl from the country. She's not like us."
Marco laughed, "If you say so son."
At that moment Antonio walked into the room, "Boss, I got word. Nicola is very much alive. He sent a box to you."
Raffaele looked at Antonio expectantly, "Box? What sort of 'box'."
"Fernando's ear." Antonio grumbled as he shuffled his feet nervously, "What do you want to do about the girl boss?"
Marco slammed his fist upon the table, "Did he say Fernando is dead?"
Shaking his head Antonio handed Marco the note, "Just said he's been detained but not for long."
Marco scanned the note before crumpling it up in anger, "You're being awful quiet Raffaele. This is your fault."
"Shut up dad. I'm in no mood. I am in charge of this familia. I call the shots. Just shut up and let me figure this out." Raffaele snarled as he takes a hand through his dark, wavy, locks.

****
Raffaele sat in the kitchen as the sun rose over the foggy landscape eating his breakfast. The soft approaching footsteps made him smile lightly as he greeted her without looking, "Good morning Miss. Bianchi."
Her soft voice traveled to him from the doorway, "Good morning Mr. Ricci sir."
He laughed as he took a swig of his coffee, "Mr. Ricci is my father. Please call me Rafe."
She sat down in the seat across from him and nodded slightly, "Please call me Gaia then."
Rafe studied the girl as a maid placed breakfast before her, she was genuinely different from the girls who normally stayed here or came from the Familia. She seemed unspoiled by monetary things and genuinely humble. He watched as she conversed in friendly banter with the cook and maid whom beamed at her with genuine affection. Her smile was contagious as he found himself grinning at her antics. He was enjoying the calm she brought into his world when Antonio stalked in and sat next to him, "Boss."
Rafe flicked his eyes to Antonio before they went back to the animated smile of the girl across the table whom was now showing cook an old family recipe on her phone, "Yes Toni? What is it now?"
"It's about the box boss." He grumbled.
His eyes darkened and he motioned for Toni to follow him. Soon the two men stood in Rafe's office reading the latest note to have arrived.

Raffaele,
I do hope you recieved my gift. Fernando is quite anxious for your reply. The clock is ticking old friend. The next cut I make may not be so friendly.
-Nicola

Rafe's eyes hardened, "Have we got a location?"
"No sir." Toni answered as he shifted nervously.
"Then send him a response however the first letter specified. Tell him we can make a deal. We need to flush him out." He growled out as he lit his cigarette and took a drag.
"Yes boss. Uh, If I may boss, I wanted to tell you something I found out about that little girl your keeping." Toni said as he fidgeted nervously.
"Yeah? What are you digging up now?" Rafe asked as he leaned against his desk.
Toni looked around nervously, "Look Boss, she may seem all innocent and stuff but in her suitcase upstairs she has a small arsenal. You don't think Fernando set us up do you man?"
"I don't think so, but we will keep an eye on his little sniper." Rafe chuckled as he waved his hand in dismissal. He definitely had no problem watching her closely.

****
Gaia sat in her room studying the photo of her Papa in her hands. She missed him, his gentle demeanor and love filled embraces seemed like daydreams now. Her fingers traced his smile,"Oh Papa, I miss you so much."
A knock on her bedroom door made her jump. She didn't even have time to say a word before Rafe walked in, "Hey, Gaia, do you know how to shoot? I was going to practice in the range if you would like?"
"I do know how. It would be nice to get my mind off things for a while." She murmured walking to her black suitcase and flipping it open to reveal two sniper rifles and two hand guns. She turned and grinned at Rafe, "See? Papa bought me my own and made sure I knew how to use them. I'm not as good as papa though."
Rafe couldn't help but smile at the bubbly little girl in front of him who now held a gun almost as big as her. She was so sweet an innocent in appearance but perhaps looks were deceiving.