Chapter Eleven

Maria, couldn't withhold her contemptuous gaze at Enoch as he spoke. She has been friends with the son of the monster who forcefully took away her dignity? Hatred fills her heart as she began to see the image of Amos through Enoch. No doubts, he was his son. She wishes she could vent her grieve and anger on Enoch, but she soon remembered Enoch is a victim of Amos's wickedness as well.

"Are you listening to me at all?" Enoch asks, tilting his head slightly forward.

"Yes yes, sure I am." Maria flinched, gaining back her consciousness to the environment.
"I'm just so surprised Mr Amos is your father."

"He is. I am planning to go back to your house and let out the truth. I just don't know when and how. I can't just show up as his son, having introduced myself as his messenger initially. Do you think your mom would believe me?" Enoch asks, sounding defeated.

"But I do. I believe you. Trust me, if we join forces, we can win this. I need to get justice." Maria said sharply.

"Join forces? You need to get justice?" Enoch said, narrowing his eyes.

"Yes," she answered, realising she was beginning to sound personally hurt, she said, "I mean...Justice for you." She's afraid telling him, would ruin her whole plan and Enoch could end up stigmatising her. Maria feels a little light to have finally gotten something concrete against Amos.

"Did I call you guys in here for chit chats?" Mr Ben said, as he opens the door from behind them. "Are you done filling the forms?" he asks.

"Yes sir." They both said and handed over the white sheets to him.

"Now go back to your classes immediately." Mr Ben ordered. They both left the office and parted to their classes.

***

At the end of the week, Maria finally succeeded at convincing Enoch to come over to her house and let the truth about Amos to her mom. She promised him her full support and with that, Enoch was encouraged he was going to win. According to Maria's plan, Amos's time was up. He is going down this time, unfailingly.

On a Saturday evening, while Maggie and Amos sat in the living room, watching Maggie's favourite TV program, a knock was heard at the door. Immediately, Maria stoop up off her bed and was ready to go out when she confirms the visitor is Enoch. As planned, she had put a call through to Enoch so he'd come to meet the full house.

Maggie stood up to go check who's at the door, but Amos insisted he should go, so she wouldn't miss her show.
Three minutes later, he came back to join Maggie in the living room.

"It's the trash man. He's doing his job already." Amos said to Maggie as he resumes back his seat.

Just as he sat down, another knock was heard. Maggie stood up quickly and said to Amos who was about to stand again, "Let me go get this, you're not the house boy here." She chuckled and walks to the door.

"Oh it's Enoch," Maggie announced.

Amos's ears tingles at the mention of Enoch's name. He retrieved his back from the chair he rested on and lost his ease. He started to wonder what had brought Enoch there again. Fear and guilt grips him, as he hasn't gotten in touch with him since the last time he covered up for him in the presence of Maggie.

"How are you doing?" Maggie said to Enoch as they both walk into the sitting room.

"I'm fine ma'am." Enoch replied.
"Good evening sir." He said to Amos who stood up to shake his hand.

"Good evening, Enoch." Amos said, trying to slow down his breath. He wishes Enoch could hear him pleading just to cover up for him again.

"You have a message for your boss? Today is Saturday." Maggie asks as she resumes back her seat.

"I'm... I'm actually..." Enoch stammers as he manages to sit with half of his butt. He became uncomfortable as he couldn't see Maria around. He was confused as to what should be the next line of action.

"He's here for me." Maria interrupted, as she took her steps down the stairs to join them in the living room.

"He's here for you?" Maggie turns to Maria coming behind her. "Do you know him?"

"Yes. We attend the same school." Maria replied, standing beside her mom.

"Oh what a small world it is. He works for Amos too, you know?" Maggie said.

Amos body heat began to rise, his thinking shuts down as he has no idea what the two teenagers were up to, but he knows he's a criminal to the both parties.

"Mom, you're wrong." Maria said. "Enoch sitting right there, is Mr Amos's son."

Amos's heart shrinks, chills runs down his spine. He froze as he sat still, staring at his feet.

"No, he's his messenger." Maggie replied. "I know him now, right Enoch?"

"I'm his son ma." He stood up. "His...his first born." Enoch said with his heart pounding.

"What's going on here?" Maggie asked, speaking at Amos.

"I...I have no idea." Amos stammers with an unfocused gaze, striving to calm down. "Young man, am I your father?" Amos glared at Enoch, who stood quiet.

"Enoch don't be afraid. That's what he does. He wants you to loose your boldness. Tell my mum about the situation. How he left your mum." Maria charges aloud.

Enoch managed to narrate his story to Maggie. Immediately, Maggie connected it to that of Eunice, her patient, and it fitted perfectly. She now confirms Amos as the criminal everyone wants down.

"I have no idea what he's talking about. You have to believe me honey." Amos said with a shaky voice. "Why are you bent on impugning my integrity?" He turned at Maria. "Why must I confess what I didn't do."

"Will you stop the pretence already! Can't you see it over." Maria said, confident that she had won. "Mum, do you now believe me? Can you see the we've been living with a devil?" She said to Maggie, who has been quiet for a while.

"I'm disappointed in you Enoch." Maggie broke the silence.

"Me?" Enoch said, pointing at his chest.

"Yes, you. How could you allow a girl dictate to you what to do? I thought you're a good boy, I didn't know you're capable of conspiracy."

Maria lost her balance at her mother's response, she collapsed into a chair which prevented her from falling on the bare floor. She felt totally defeated.

"I want you out of my house now and never, ever come back. Am I clear?

Enoch's eyes reddened as he walks out of the house in shame.

Thank you for your time. I hope you're enjoying the story. Please do not forget to vote, comment and share. I love you