Chapter 70

"So these witches are staying with you?" Lainey asked.

Fawn nodded.

"The nature of the recent murders in Sancova suspected them to believe that dead walkers were involved."

Lainey slowly nodded.

"So they came here to kill them."

"Yeah."

"I see. Well you should tell them that they can't kill Benjamin because he turned by drinking the Demon's Spirit, so he's essentially a Primitive One."

"Apparently so. But how? Did he know the Morrisons or something?"

"Sort of," Lainey said. "The Morrison daughter, Isabella, invited him to stay with them before she turned Benjamin by forcing the elixir down his throat because she's a crazy bitch."

Fawn laughed.

"Okay, one, wow. And two, Benjamin told you that?"

"He's told me a lot of things, Fawn."

Fawn beamed at Lainey.

"Oh? Did he tell you how much he loves you and how he can't stop thinking about you?"

Lainey's cheeks flared.

"Oh, shut up!" she said, throwing a pillow at Fawn.

"I'm only messing," she said smiling. "You really like him, huh?"

Lainey sheepishly nodded, without a word.

"You ever ask yourself how that's going to work?"

Lainey sighed.

"I just realized my feelings for him. Let me fantasize a little before reality sets in and ruin everything."

"You mean like the fact that he doesn't have a beating heart . . . which explains why dead walkers are void of blood. . . . Which probably means he can't . . . you two can't . . ."

Lainey's jaw almost hit the floor.

"Oh my God, Fawn! You didn't!"

"I'm sorry," Fawn squeaked, covering her face with her hands. "I so did."

"Give me back my pillow so I can throw it at you again!"

The girls laughed.

And laughed.

After the storm of laughter, during the calm, Fawn said "I miss this. Talking about things normal seventeen-year-old girls talk about. Like boys."

"Granted, said boy is a supernatural reanimated corpse . . . that just happens to be super hot."

Fawn smiled.

"Honestly, Lainey, I think this is as normal as things are going to get for us. Everything that's happened to us--what we've seen and learned--it's only the beginning. I just . . . have this feeling that our lives will never be the same."

Lainey nodded, not necessarily agreeing with her best friend. But not disagreeing either. She already felt like it was a lifetime ago when her small town of Sancova was a boring town she couldn't wait to move away from. And she's experienced more excitement in the last week than she did her whole life. If this was only the beginning, Lainey couldn't begin to imagine what was waiting for her at the end.

"The witches I've told you about," Fawn started, breaking the silencing and changing the subject, "they've had an encounter with Benjamin. He was too strong for them."

Lainey almost smiled but immediately caught herself and folded her lips instead.

"Oh?" she said.