Chapter 36

Seeing everyone together made Benjamin ache from nostalgia. He stood, frozen in place, staring at people he wasn't sure he'd ever see again.

Joseph smirked.

"Jeez, mate. You gonna let us in or not?"

"J-Joseph, what . . . what is this?"

"Well, since I couldn't convince you to join us, I brought the family to you."

He stepped inside, whispering "You'll thank me for this, Benji" as he passed.

Sebastian and an elated Elsie stepped into the house next.

"You haven't changed a bit!" Elsie said, running to Benjamin and embracing him.

"That supposed to be a joke?" Benjamin said, wrapping an arm around her.

She stood back and looked at him.

"Fifty years it's been. You believe that?"

"It's been way too long," Benjamin said.

She punched his arm.

"Why didn't you leave with Joseph?" she exclaimed. "You don't want to be with us anymore?"

"No, of course that's not it. I just . . . I . . ."

"Apparently the kid fancies a human girl," Sebastian said, a grin spreading across his face.

Elsie gaped at Benjamin.

"No way!"

Benjamin turned to Joseph.

Joseph shrugged.

"Well, is it not true?"

"I don't fancy anyone," Benjamin said.

"Well, I'd hope not," said a voice that made Benjamin's non-beating heart skip a beat. Natalie stepped into the house. "I mean . . . I came all this way . . ."

"Natalie . . . I . . ." Benjamin was at a loss for words. He could hardly believe that he was staring into the eyes of the first woman he'd ever loved after six decades.

"Oh, Benjamin . . . I'm so happy to see you," she said, rushing toward him and grabbing him in a hug. "So glad you're okay."

"Yeah," he whispered. "Yeah, me too."

"Now that the gang's back together," came Joseph's voice, "let's get back to business--"

"Oh, come on, Joseph," said Elsie. "We've all just reunited. Give us a minute."

"That's a minute we don't have, and you know that." He glanced at Sebastian and Natalie. "We all know that."

Benjamin stared warily at them all.

"What is he talking about?" he asked.

Elsie wore a pained expression.

"Morrison's followers, the Immortal Order--their activity has risen significantly in the last several years." She narrowed her eyes. "You haven't heard?"