Chapter 46

"Their . . . eyes would glow?" Fawn said. "A-Are you sure?"

"That's what they say," Monica said. "Who knows for sure?"

"I bet it's true!" Ashleigh said, raising her hand, a smile spread across her face.

"I bet it's a sight to see!" Leah said.

"It's definitely a sight to see," Ashleigh said, stealing quick glances at Fawn.

"Still . . . I bet those elementals have nothing on Freya's eyes," Nox said.

Freya turned to Nox, a small smile on her face.

"Oh, Noxford. Bless your heart," she said.

"Yeah, thanks," Leah quickly added. "You may as well be complimenting me, too."

"Yeah, sure," Nox said. "You have your sister's eyes. And they are every bit as beautiful."

Leah didn't accept Nox's compliment as favorable as her sister did, her gaze landing upon her hands which were crossed in her lap.

"Oh, Nox," Ashleigh said, shaking her head. "You're terrible." She turned back to Monica. "So, what color would the elementals' eyes glow?" she asked.

"I don't know," Monica said.

"Maybe like a golden-ish color or something?" Ashleigh persisted.

"I said I don't know. Ask Auntie Jules when she gets home if you're so interested."

Ashleigh frowned.

"Just asking."

"I think Jules is wrong about the prophecy being fulfilled," Freya said.

They all turned to the freckled redhead.

"What makes you say that?" Monica asked.

"Well . . . think about it. Apparently Nature birthed the elementals to defeat the 'Evil One', right? And according to your tale, the elementals defeated the sorcerer Demetrius in the fourteenth century and sealed him away. Yet the elementals still exist today. Wouldn't that mean they still have a purpose? This Demetrius person can't be the 'Evil One' the prophecy speaks of. Therefore the prophecy cannot have been fulfilled."

Nox's eyes were filled with awe as he stared at Freya.

"Smart, pretty, talented . . . Freya, run away with me."

"If this prophecy is to be taken seriously," Freya continued, ignoring Nox, "then the 'Evil One' will still rise and . . . wreck havoc on earth or whatever."

"Of course the prophecy is to be taken seriously," Monica said. "It has been predicted for centuries by many witches and even some sorcerers and sorceresses."

"And the only way to stop this so-called 'Evil One' is to combine the power of all four elementals?" Fawn asked. "Oh, man."

"Who knows?" Ashleigh said. "There could be an elemental right under our noses."

Fawn quickly scolded Ashleigh with her eyes.

"If there was an elemental amongst us, it would probably be Vivienne," said Leah. "She's so gifted at performing magic. Way above all of us."

"She's also good at being an arrogant bitch," Ashleigh said. "Kinda kills it, doesn't it?"

"Oh, come on," Monica said. "She's not all that bad. You don't know her like I do."

"You have every right to defend her, Monica," Ashleigh said. "She's your cousin. But come on, dude. Even you have to see how ridiculous she's being towards Fawn. And she's the oldest of us all. She needs to grow up."