Chapter 97

Morrison's followers were no match for Vivienne's "white flames". She had an exceptional advantage against their dark fire magic. She initially wanted to practice shadow magic like Aunt Jules but her aunt insisted she stay far away from the realm of magic bordering on dark magic. So Aunt Jules taught her how to manipulate "white flames" instead.

Sacratus Igneus, the White Flame is a type of fire magic without the limitations of normal fire--much like the cursed flames. It's hotter than normal flames and cannot be doused by water or extinguished by wind. It also nullifies cursed flames.

White fire has since become Vivienne's primary choice of magic for just about every situation. She can even summon her flames without reciting the incantation. And now, she danced with her flames as she effortlessly battled against Morrison's followers, blocking their dark magic with white flame shields and countering with fire blasts, taking them down one at a time.

* * *

Nox had found his way by Freya's side during the battle against Morrison's followers. A duo of dead walkers were quickly approaching them.

"Give me your hand," Freya demanded of Nox.

"S-Sure," he said, not hesitating to take her hand.

"Accresco Celero!" Freya bellowed.

Nox immediately felt a sudden burst of vigor. He felt as light as a feather. Time seemed frozen as everyone was still. The dead walkers that were approaching them were like life-like statues.

"Nox!" he heard Freya's voice.

He turned to see Freya was the only person that hadn't been petrified.

"Wh-What happened?" he asked. "Did you stop time or something?"

"Speed buff," she said, equipping her dagger. "Time isn't frozen--you're just moving really, really fast."

She plunged her silver dagger through the skull of one of the dead walkers and removed it.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" she said, a strain in her voice. "My buff spells doesn't last forever. And it drains a lot of magical energy--I don't think I can do it again."

"R-Right," Nox said, equipping his dagger and stabbing the other dead walker in the forehead.

A second later, their ashes fell to the ground as time unfroze.

"Wow . . . amazing as always," Nox said.

Freya shook her head.

"Farrah's magic gave us a huge advantage against these guys. All of Morrison's followers are way too weak. We aren't fighting them at their full potential."

"Maybe you're right," Nox said. "But that shouldn't discredit your abilities."

Freya smiled.

Nox grew feverish.

* * *

Leah wiped the beads of sweat off Monica's forehead as she watched her. Monica weakly smiled at her but if her sharp breathing and moaning was any indication, Monica was in great pain.

What was the undead curse doing to her?

She returned her attention to the one-sided fight taking place right before her. Leah couldn't help but smile at the fact her friends were totally overwhelming Morrison's followers. Vivienne had just taken out the last of her opposers, summoning a fiery vortex that entrapped the witches before it dissipated and the witches fell to the ground, severely burned. Benjamin's friend Braxton had his whole hand inside the abdomen of another witch. She had to turn away before he did anything else, but if the witch's screaming was any indication, it wasn't pretty.