Chapter 37

Kril has turned to the Crawlers and is moving his tongue around to find out their response to Adam's words, when there is a noise by the doorway to the balcony. Jard roars his anger and has charged through the door back into Kril's quarters. Adam follows to see him slash at Jarl with his sharp claws, opening him up with ease, spilling his insides all over the floor as Evian screams at the suddenness of it.

He stops, not wanting the same fate as poor Jarl, who has dropping to his knees, wide-eyed at the realization that his life is now over. Kril sweeps into the room and goes for Jard, but not before he had grabbed Evian around the waist, easily lifting her from the floor and rushes out the doorway to the hallway beyond.

Adam crouches beside Jarl, who just manages to get out before he falls the rest of the way to the floor. "Go after her and get away from this place. You both deserve to live."

Adam nods his head at him. "You were there for me right from the beginning. Thank you."

"Go, you fool. I am done, and ready to meet my maker."

Adam lays him down gently on the floor, before grabbing his backpack that now holds all his and Evian's possessions, and rushes for the door. He gets to the hallway to find Kril engaged with the lone guard at the end. Kril is deep into his rage and savagely attacks him, knocking the guard to the floor. Then, he brings his foot down viciously on the guard's head, crushing it, stopping any further resistance from him. Kril sees Adam, and growls deep in his throat, which stops him dead in his tracks.

Kril rushes from the short hallway to the main corridor that runs the length of the Fortress, with Adam following as fast as he can. Kril races ahead and rounds a corner, that Adam assumes goes to The Sphere Chamber.

He follows, heading for the meeting room, but stops when he hears a roaring coming from the chamber farther down the passageway. He moves forward, but his feet start to burn on the hot floor. He stops and reaches in his pack for the heavy insulated boots he had on in the cold chamber on Earth. He puts them on in record time and rushes into the meditation chamber to see the Shrils that were lounging there, all moving up the steps to the side onto the upper balcony. Kril has Jard trapped at the edge of the lava pit, with Evian still clutched under his arm as he bares his teeth at the older Kril.

Kril bares his as he yells out to Jard. "Give it up, there is no where to hide. You will die with the rest of us."

Jard shrieks into the air, in their version of laughter. "I have no desire to hide. I will lead the Shrils in a hunt the likes of which they have never seen before. We will feed on the Moles, as is our right, right up till the ground erupts around us. This female will be the first, and the beginning of that glorious ten period feast."

Adam watches as Kril rushes him, hoping to push him over the edge of the floor into the open lava pit. Evian looks to Adam, afraid that this is the end for her. He instinctively rushes forward behind Kril.

Jard smiles, as he drops Evian to the floor, which is hot enough to severely burn her. She screams at the pain and runs for the stairs that are cooler. Kril continues forward, still deep in his rage. Jard uses Kril's momentum to his advantage, as he drops to the floor and lets Kril get close enough, so he can get under his body and lift him up into the air sending him flailing back into the open lava pit.

Jard, who is now standing, watches Kril land in the molten rock and instantly start to burn as he screeches with his last breath. Jard smiles and turns back, just in time to see Adam standing behind one of the chairs with a small device in his hand pointed right at him. "What is this? Some toy you hope to stop me with?"

Adam smiles and hits the switch on the laser pointer he had pulled from his backpack, aiming the red beam straight at the light sensitive eyes of the Shril. The beam finds its mark and Jard shrieks out in pain from the simple, intense light burning into his eyes.